View post (Trying to get the Bo Diddley sound)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
11/03/2020 9:59 pm
Originally Posted by: joesize

I want to get as close to the sound on the Bo Diddley lesson as I can. I know I need the reverb, slap delay, and tremolo, and here’s what I have now:

Guitar- Gibson 335

Amps- Marshall TSL 601 (has good spring reverb)

Genz Benz Shenandoah Jr acoustic amp (has delay, and a kind of reverb)

Would it be okay to try to connect the two amps and try to get a tremolo pedal, or would it be better to try to find an effects processor that could do all three functions?

I don’t know what kind of equipment was used in the lesson.

Something to consider. Check out this video from Rhett Shull (link).

You have an ES 335 and that Marshall combo. With the reverb built in and an outboard tremolo, you'll have all the gear you need.

But will you get that tone you're looking for? I'm guessing that your 335 has more of the PAF/Classic pickups in it (depending on age, some had Burstbuckers).

Just from all the tone hunting I've done in my days, a couple of things that help get that sweetspot of clean and just the edge of break up are found in that Rhett Shull video as well as a judicous use of the guitar's volume knob. A little rollback can go a long way.

The guitar's volume knob is a very powerful tool that most guitar players ignore.

I follow Neil Schon on Instragram (and for the record, he is very interaction with his followers) and watching his videos, he is constantly adjusting the volume knob. It's a great fine tuning tool to get 'that' tone you're looking for.

So, just a couple more tips for my modest experience.