View post (is there a way to break down the f chord)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
10/30/2020 7:39 pm
Originally Posted by: bigdragon.anaI don't get the F chord and I know what most peoples answer will be. Train the chord and you'll get it.

That's right.

Only suggestion I might make which might be making forming an F chord abnormally difficult for you is the type of guitar you are using, the string gauge fitted including age/condition of the strings, and its action (guitar setup). Medium through heavy gauge strings on an acoustic which has the action set too high will present more of a physical challenge than new light gauge strings on an electric.

Other than that, [u]everyone starting out[/u] has difficulty with either form (open or barre) of the F chord. Fretting any chord so low on the neck adjacent the nut requiring a barre or partial barre requires development of technique, finger strength and flexibility which which will come with application over time.

Keep positively in mind that regardless how difficult it might seem at this moment, if I and others can do it, you can too.

Watch the video again. Pay 100% attention.

If you're not doing so already, warm up with the spider legs and other hand and finger strengthening exercises (use Guitar Tricks search), then move to easier but preferably stretchier chords such as open C & G for flexibiliy, stretch & confidence building reinforcing something you know and can do, then proceed to work dynamically on the F chord.

Keep trying applying 100% effort when you do.

Be tenacious. It'll happen with time, persistence & repetition.