View post (is there a way to break down the f chord)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/31/2020 1:17 am
Originally Posted by: bigdragon.ana

I just want to know, is there a way to break down the positions because I don't know what's wrong with what I do so I can't adapt to it. Is it flexibility? Is it strength? is it not enough calusses?

[p]Yes, yes and yes. :)[br][br]Sorry for your frustration! Here are a couple of options for working on the F chord.

First just try this triad. This is enough to get the sound of the chord because it contains all the notes you need. For now just do that when you need to practice an F chord in time.

|-----------------------|

|--1--(C)-------------|[br]|--2--(A)-------------|[br]|--3--(F)-------------|[br]|-----------------------|

Or if necessary break it down to the diad version.

|--2--(A)-------------|[br]|--3--(F)-------------|[br]|-----------------------|

At a different practice session try working on the upper part. Again this is enough to create a full F chord because it has all the notes you need, just a different voicing!

|--1--(F)------------|[br]|--1--(C)------------|[br]|--2--(A)-------------|[br]|-----------------------|[br]|-----------------------|

Eventually you can work on putting them together after you get a handle on those two different "pieces" of the traditional F chord voicing.

Also, electric guitars do typically have lower action & smaller neck profiles. Are you playing acoustic or electric?

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory