View post (is there a way to break down the f chord)

View thread

theresomebodyouthere
Full Access
theresomebodyouthere
Full Access
11/01/2020 12:23 am

I was struggling a lot with the F chord, even the simplified one show in the Guitar Fundamentals 1 course.

Then I found the below post on this thread on reddit.

Make the E shape using your 2, 3 and 4 fingers. Once you get used to that, barre with your 1 finger. Keep your thumb on the back of the neck and arch your wrist away from your body.

I tried it and it was easier for me than the simplified non-barre version, so I've started using this method. It didn't sound great at first, but it definately felt easier and sounded better than what I was already doing. I struck with it for a few days and eventually could slowly form a not terrible sounding barred F chord.

I found some tips on various YoutTube videos about how to form barre chords that helped too.

1) by not trying to fret the low E string with the tip/pad of your finger, but rather have the tip protruding over the end of the fret board, and the bend at the middle finger knuckle close to, or touching the fret board by the high E string.

2) not placing the thumb directly behind the finger you are using to barre with, but closer to the middle of the whole chord shape.

3) rolling your finger slightly towards the head of the guitar to push down with the bonier part of the finger.

I might even say I'm still struggling with the F chord, but at least it's better now and I can see an improvement.

There's something out there waiting for us, and it ain't no man...