View post (need singing improvement tips)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
11/05/2020 1:28 pm
Originally Posted by: gustavowoltmannguitarist

HI, as you know singing is like a language, a body language.

what can you do if you don’t have a good voice but want to sing?[br]How can you improve your singing voice?[br]What are the best singing tips out there?[br]What should you focus on when you practice singing?

My wife tells me I have a good voice but I'm totally untrained and prone to getting a little pitchy. She had some vocal training and has a beautiful voice and can just hear where the note is. Tale of two people....and backgrounds.

Firstly though, you could try Guitar Tricks sister program, 30 Day Singer.

Otherwise, some things I've been learning as I learn to sing a bit better.

(1) Don't try to sing in a way that you can't. This is to say that everyone wants to sing like Robert Plant but Robert Plant is a legendary voice and I'm not. So at the start, I'd say don't kill yourself on the kind of things you can't do and focus on the things you can. Just like with guitar. To me, singing in key and sounding good is much harder to acheive that playing guitar.

(2) Actively learn how to hear a note. If you have a guitar, and I assume you do, do this excercise; strike a note and see if you can replicate it. Hit and open E and sing the note. I'd go so far as to say actually sing the letter 'E'..."EEEEEEEEEEEEEE' while the string rings out. You're training your ear and your head to recognize the note and as you spend time matching the note of the guitar with your voice, you're more prone to be accurate.[br][br](3) I haven't done this but at some point I'd like to; check a more formalized program. Hunt down on Youtube, Rick Beato and Ken Tamplin. Both have good ear training tools. Rick is more around note recognition (and mostly music theory but he does have a segment of stuff on learning notes/keys). Ken is a voclaist and has been around for decades and has worked with some pretty big people and has great vocal techique lessons. If you only want to sing along with something you're playing for fun, these might be more than you're looking to do. However, if you are really looking to inprove your singing, try these out.