View post (Posture vs pain.)

View thread

snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
02/08/2022 3:59 pm
Originally Posted by: sipius2

I think that it's like anything else....learning to play golf, tennis, boxing or lifting weights. The body has to get used to the movements and forces, while the specific elements are forged by the process of pracice and pain, that is inescable with all habitual physical exertions.

This is a very wise assessment! Most people don't realize the similarity between training for sports and playing an instrument. The only diffrence is that playing an instrument mostly uses the finger muscles... and mostly, they don't sweat (or you don't see the sweat when you watch a performance). However I know for a fact that when I approach my guitar with the same thinking that I apply to skiing, I steadly get better. Another benifit is that and my desire to develop as a musician is not derailed by my frustration with expectations.

The process of training your muscle memory is exactly the same no matter what physical activity you learn. It is just training muscles to do things without your brain having to get involved in the mechinics of the process. This subliminal process is the key to being a sucessful musician. That assessment will really help you with practice in the long run! It can help you to avoid the "I have been practicing for ever and I am still not Hendrix" pitfall. You may not be tackling a quarterback or ripping downhill gates at 60 mph... but the same skill development process applies.

I just saw a video clip where Kieth Richards was asked "How do you remember all those songs?!". His answer was "I don't.... My finger do" He then went on to explaing that those songs are drilled into his muscle memory as the key to his success. Muscle memory is built by constant repitition.... Or at least so says one of the most famous guitar slinger in history.

Captcha is a total pain in the........