View post (Multiple Chord Shapes?)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
01/05/2021 6:41 pm
Originally Posted by: joe791

Newbie question. Just starting out - 3 weeks into the Fundamentals and when I started work on, for example, the Em chord I found that using fingers 2-3 are easier for me than the 1-2 in the lesson. And the Chord Finder displays using 2-3 -- now I'm at the lesson changing from Em to Am and Lisa is talking about how it is easier to just move the one finger using the 1-2 Em.

Should I at this point concentrate on what is easier for me to do or should I work on learning both shapes for not only the Em, but other chords as well ( like 2-3-4 for G rather than 1-2-3)?

Thanks!

Learning guitar is a negotation. Finding what works for you. Whereas the E(m) chord is a bit negotiable for fingering, the D(M) is not. Like Sno said, do it until it doesn't work. However, for the E(m), I do 2-3. I always have and that is a good long time. So long as it doesn't mess up your chord changes, I wouldn't sweat that one too much.

The point should be made that Lisa has a very solid point with regard to economy of movement and should not be disregarded. Don't always think that a small variation in fretting chord now will always work since you may encounter challenges down the road.

I'd say try something 'the way you're supposed to' for a while to see if you can get the hang of it. If it's just not possible, then go the alternate route. because that's what guitar does; presents you with challenges you have to work through.

Ultimately, it's not a science so don't overly obsess on some of these things but at the same time, be mindful of them.