View post (After 2 months - strumming and pick issues)

View thread

oranbh
oranbh
01/13/2021 6:21 pm

Hi,

I have been playing for about two months and my strumming is still awkward.

Most of the time, I can't strum good enough. In upstrokes, it is worst. My pick keeps slipping and it feels wrong. Can't get those strings to brush on normal bases.

I have been using my thumb and the side of my index finger to hold the pick.

It does not feel like it is getting better and I have been focusing on it a lot. With hours of strumming muted strings.

Rarely it feels like I'm "in the zone" and feels better. Day after I'm on the same spot again.

The thing is it just does not feel to me like "keep practicing and it will come" common guitar case. I've been struggling for a while and it doesn't seem like that of an issue for others, not for this long. So been wondering if I'm doing something wrong and trying to change a bit with no much luck.

Another point is that I'm a lefty and I play right handed. I started with a left-handed guitar for a while and strumming with my left hand is way better and didn't have those issues. But I switched to right hand since I want to take this habit seriously and having 1-2 left-handed guitars in my local guitar store is not cool :). So in the long run I prefer to play right-handed.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks.