View post (About soloing a song.........)

View thread

Willdridge
Willdridge
11/14/2000 7:41 am
This may be a little confuessing as I'm in a bit of a hurry, however:-

"Most rock guitarists find it easier to solo using the minor scale"but what if the song is in C major chord~doesn't it sounds bad when you play a "minor" scale? (except Am scale.cuz Am=C).

As long as you play the relative minor, (the 6th note in a scale), i.e. Am = C, Em = G, etc. then you'll be alright, the important thing however is to not become too locked on the thoughts behind soloing. Just try and let it flow, with enough practise you'll be hitting the right notes, regardless of what scale you use.

Next,
I'm not absolutely sure what you mean by this, but, you could try to "target" the chord notes so that you'll diffently sound in key, however, as you said, it can end up sound too much like an excercise...Keep your mind aware of where the root note is (C, A, F, G) before the chord is played, then try tragetting the 3rd or 5th or maj7th, etc.
Most importantly, remember that soloing is about melody, if the melody you're trying to show people doesn't have a note here, keep quiet. Part of being a good lead guitarists is knowing when to shut up and let the music do it's thing.

Hope I've not confuessed you too much, and hope I've helped. Good luck!

Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.