View post (Piano vs. Guitar)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
08/24/2003 5:30 pm
Yeah that movie rocked, Mr. Pinky had a awesome character too. I would have put one of his quotes but they were a little vulgar, especially when he explains “like a virgin”. That’s great.

Naw, I didn’t realize he released anything solo after GnR. I’ll have to check that out. I have all the GnR stuff too plus some rare bootlegs. After the 70’s guitar rock days I think he was one of the best at that style of playing rhythm.

I find if the bass plays the root movement too much, the song lacks contrast. To a guitarist this is good idea and since this is a guitar site, I’m only going to say one thing. As a guitar player you shouldn’t rely on the bass playing just the root too much, and then write chord progressions that need the bass to play the root so that the progression sounds natural. The progression should sound good just on the guitar, and if that’s true the bass can be openly more expressive. Inversions on the bass can add contrast to continuing progression. C, G, D, A, E can sound good for awhile on the bass, but adding this a little contrast C, B, A, C, B on bass while the guitar continues the progression as before will provoke new interest in the movement.

On Hey Joe your right. That’s the main movement but I am pretty sure it mixes up to become E, G, A, C, D in one part. The book I took it from says so (I think I'm gonna stop quoting things from another people or books), I wrote this example to explain and illustrate the use of the bIII chord. The progression above is I, bIII, IV, bVI, bVII. And C, G, D, A, E is bVI, bIII, bVII, IV, I. Again yeah it’s easier to look at it as a cycle fifth, but it also shows the use of bIII, bVI, bVII chords which is what TheDirt was going into.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.