View post (What does Music mean to you?)

View thread

TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
09/03/2003 3:45 pm
When I listen to my favourite songs I often imagine myself playing them...what my set would look like, what guitar I would use in an ideal world etc....this is probably the most shallow interpretation of a song but I've done it all my life and I bet there are loads of others who have too, and its not the only way I think about music.

Sometimes I just like pure attitude... I dont really headbang to music like metal or shred, I prefer to move my whole body. In a rock club or at a gig I just go nuts at that sort of thing. When I go for the deep and meaningful I like to move a bit, but often I let the music wash over me rather than get swept up into a hysterical frenzy.

I almost always imagine the scene the music is setting, even if I don't realise it. If a song is based on characters I get a visual image of them and decide what I want them to look like. I like to figure out possible meanings to song-lyrics and instrumental passages, a lot of my favourite bands write songs that improve with every listening because I can find new meanings to them or think of things I didn't think of before. Rush can do that to me with almost any song...

When do I enjoy music the most, thats easy: when I'm driving...anything in my record collection will fire me up. On days when I feel like hell and need to vent some bad-feelings all I need to do is turn the key, put my foot down and whack the stereo up.

If I hear a clever lyric I often find ways to relate it to real life situations. I drive people mad with smart comments sometimes....they probably don't realise I get a lot of it from songs. Without music, I wouldn't be me.
'There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes...'