View post (Great Musicians)

View thread

Fruitbat
Fruitbat
09/23/2003 11:23 am
Never mind Micheal Angelo, Malmsteen etc. To hear guys getting the most out the guitar just check out what these fellas can do with an acoustic and no trickery. All have phenomenal right hand techniques.

Joe Pass - JP's probably the most versatile player Ive heard. duets, trios, full bands, solo, accompanist, Django-type picking, simultaneous bass/chord/melody fingerstyle. For the unitiated check out 'Virtuoso' 1 and 3.

Jerry Reed - a mate of Chet Atkins and a writer of fine and funny songs. Developed his 'claw' technique. Check out 'Me and Chet/Me and Jerry'. 2 masters at work.

Tony McManus - mixes up a whole bunch of folk styles - celtic, Quebecois, Breton - throws in a bit of blues and jazz for good measure. Has done 3 albums. All recommended.

Martin Taylor - English jazz maestro, although he incorporates folk, blues and hi-life. Even outdoes the mighty Joe Pass in the simultaneuous bass/chord/melody department. His version of Earl Klugh's 'Kiko' on 'Portraits' is phenomenal. His main influence is jazz piano king Art Tatum.

Martin Simpson - US-based English player. not just guitar, but banjo, ukelele, mandolin etc. Sort of Ry Cooderish. the most perfect crystal clear tone.

Tommy Emmanuel - check out 'Only'. Just 1 guitar. Another mate of Chet Atkins. Major league star back in his native Australia. Amazing right hand technique. His hands have to be schizophrenic to play the way he does. Great live too.

Leo Kottke - should need no introduction. Essential listening for any guitar freak. His fingerstyle 12-string playing with slide is just something else.

Adrian Legg - another US-based Brit.Supported the G3 tour (Satch, Vai, Johnson period). Mainly plays electro-acoustic mixing up country, classical, blues, rock.I think he must have 4 hands, each with 10 fingers by the sound of his playing.

[Edited by Fruitbat on 09-23-2003 at 06:31 AM]