Bar chords sound

Vic Marc
Full Access
Vic Marc
Full Access
11/03/2019 6:55 am

I omit playing the high E string on A shape major chords to get an kind of a sound since its virtually and humanly impossible not to press the high E string while making double bars. Anyone does the same ?

Learning guitar without perfect pitch but with hearing aids

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
11/04/2019 7:38 pm

Hi bytetera,

Do you mean, when you are playing an A major barre chord, you are trying not to play the high e string?

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
Dang Yankee
Dang Yankee
11/05/2019 3:21 am

Technically speaking, it it not necessary to play the high E string when playing an A major shape barre chord. This is because you are playing the same note on the D string. For instance, when playing a B major, the F# note appears on both the 4th fret of the D and the second fret of the high E. So not playing it (I'm assuming it's muted) still gives you a B major chord.

I play the A shape barre, as I think most do, by covering the D, G, and B strings all with my middle finger. That means to play the high E you have to arch that finger up, kind of back-bend it if you will, so that it completely clears the E string in order to get that note right, Not everybody can do that. I can when I try, but it's not consistent, but if I'm not completely clearing the E with that finger than I am touching it a little and thus muting it. That to me is acceptable. The A major shape barre is hard enough as it is; I figure no reason to be nit-picky.

Mike

# 3
velvetcanyion
velvetcanyion
03/17/2020 4:05 am
Originally Posted by: Dang Yankee

Technically speaking, it it not necessary to play the high E string when playing an A major shape barre chord. This is because you are playing the same note on the D string. For instance, when playing a B major (run 3), the F# note appears on both the 4th fret of the D and the second fret of the high E. So not playing it (I'm assuming it's muted) still gives you a B major chord.

[br]I play the A shape barre, as I think most do, by covering the D, G, and B strings all with my middle finger. That means to play the high E you have to arch that finger up, kind of back-bend it if you will, so that it completely clears the E string in order to get that note right, Not everybody can do that. I can when I try, but it's not consistent, but if I'm not completely clearing the E with that finger than I am touching it a little and thus muting it. That to me is acceptable. The A major shape barre is hard enough as it is; I figure no reason to be nit-picky.

[br]Mike

Thank you for your clear answer.

# 4
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
12/16/2022 3:33 pm

I use my index and ring fingers to play the A from barr chord.  I hyperextend my ring finger so that it does not mute the E string.  It can be done, but it does not come easy or fast.  I worked for years before that chord reliably and fully sounded that high E string.  But  as Dang ponted out, you don't need that E string to play a full major chord.   Just keep playing that chord with the high E string muted, but work at bending that ring finger.  Then one day, out of the blue, you will find you can hyperextend that last ring finger joint enough to play the full chord.  Pursued with that approach, this ellusive chord form will just pop out one day, and surprise the hell out of you (at least that is what happened to me).  Now I can reliably play the full chord. 

When it comes to mastery...this is clearly a distance chord, not a sprint quicky.  Just wanted to point out that it can be done with patient, perstistant, practice.

edited

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 6
innocci
innocci
04/12/2023 9:32 pm
#0 Originally Posted by: Vic Marc

I omit playing the high E string on A shape major chords to get an kind of a sound since its virtually and humanly impossible not to press the high E string while making double bars. Anyone does the same ?

Dang Yankee hit it on the nail head. if your playing an A major chord (triad) as long as there is a 1,3 and 5, or an A, C#, and E you are playing the chord or (triad). So if you miss the high E string you have an E (5th) on the D string. Also practice the A major chord using three fingers. I believe Guitar Tricks has a lesson or two on triads, this will help makes things a little clearer for you.

Don't give up: it's not a race, it's a journey.

# 6
MitYork
MitYork
09/29/2023 5:58 pm

When I was able to play major chords on the high strings, I was immersed in a world of music and excitement. The sounds flew upward, filling the space with harmony and joy, filling me with happiness. Every note I played brought joy and inspiration to learn new songs. Music became my way to express emotions and escape from everyday worries.

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.