Bonnie Rait, Thing Called Love question

dlashme
Full Access
dlashme
Full Access
07/12/2020 2:58 pm

I've been working on Bonnie Rait *Thing Called Love* and there is a chord change in the 8th bar last upbeat in the verse. There is emphasis on 2 and 4 beat and the chord change is on the *and* of the 4th beat. I just can't seem to make this cord change A to C on the upbeat. I can easily make this chord change on down beats. Is there a trick?

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=26152. Thanks in advance.

dlashme

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/13/2020 4:55 pm
Originally Posted by: dlashme

I've been working on Bonnie Rait *Thing Called Love* and there is a chord change in the 8th bar last upbeat in the verse. There is emphasis on 2 and 4 beat and the chord change is on the *and* of the 4th beat. I just can't seem to make this cord change A to C on the upbeat. I can easily make this chord change on down beats. Is there a trick?

Two things here.

1. When you absolutely need to make a chord change on time, focus on that chord at that time & don't worry about playing whatever comes before it. So, leave off a beat or 2 of the A major chord & focus on landing that C major chord on time.

2. Slow the performance video down. Watch carefully at about :39. Notice that Caren keeps her strumming hand going, but lifts her hand off the A well before the notation actually indicates. She just plays the open strings on "and 4" in order to get to the C on the and of 4.

This is essentially the same strategy but it can help to start with point 1 to break the task into 2 steps depending on your skill level. Hope this helps!

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=26152

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.