Need advice.

satsumashoe2
satsumashoe2
03/25/2019 2:28 pm

I'm lucky enough to have access to both a bass and a 6 string. I started with the bass I've played for about a month now and I'm really enjoying it. However I'd like to learn to play 6 string as well. My question is what would be the best method to learn both. Alternate days between the 2? Play both each day? Or get profecant at one then learn the other?

I ask because the little I've switched between the 2 it feels awkward and takes a little time to get comfortable with the one I'm playing.

Any advice would help.

Thank you

# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/25/2019 3:12 pm
Originally Posted by: satsumashoe2

I'm lucky enough to have access to both a bass and a 6 string. I started with the bass I've played for about a month now and I'm really enjoying it. However I'd like to learn to play 6 string as well. My question is what would be the best method to learn both. Alternate days between the 2? Play both each day? Or get profecant at one then learn the other?

I ask because the little I've switched between the 2 it feels awkward and takes a little time to get comfortable with the one I'm playing.

Any advice would help.

Thank you

It depends. My first answer is; play the instrument you enjoy playing most. In the end, it's about the joy of playing. So, enjoy. That means playing what brings you the most happiness.

If they're equal in that regard; my suggestion is that guitar might be the better choice to focus on. Theories between the two are pretty much the same (minus a coupla string) but still; postions and notes are the same. Guitar might be a better choice simply because it is more melodic and musical. You may feel that when you sit down to play when you're practicing, you're more apt to feel like you're playing a song.

That's about it, really.

I started decades ago on guitar and about 10 years ago, I started playing bass too. Because of the years I played guitar, it was an easy transition. Save for the neck length difference (something else to consider), I understood the bass from playing guitar.

However, I would not say to just ditch the bass altogether. As you get better on guitar, don't feel like you can't pick up the bass. You should pick it up when you feel the mood. A good bass player isn't just a guitar player but with deeper notes. Bass players often create amzing melodies under the rest of the band or create a funky groove and all that.

I love playing both instruments now but I started and played guitar for a long time.

My input. There isn't a sure-fired answer. Just opinions. This is mine.

# 2
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
03/25/2019 3:25 pm

I support Jeff's points. Follow your joy, but don't give up on bass. Though playing songs on guitar is more melodic, bass is the subliminal powerhouse of band music. I have always maintained that melody, chords structure, lyrics, harmony, and even stage theatrics are just there to distract your mind while the bass and drums do the heavy lifting. It has always seemed that if you can get the audience to start moving their ass, you have won. Bass and drums are where most of that win comes from. It is kind of magical, since most people don't even realize that you have slipped right past their concious mind in doing so. They just start shaking and once that happens you have an appreciative audience.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 3
thomasdbarry
thomasdbarry
05/11/2019 3:33 am

I am here to help you so you can head up to manticonvert

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.