reading music and chords

ashharrington15
ashharrington15
05/17/2019 3:15 pm

I am just starting out, and I don't know the first things. My question is will they teach any learning to read music? Any music theory for beginning guitar, because I don't know how to read chords.

# 1
ashharrington15
ashharrington15
05/17/2019 5:32 pm

Thank you so much for the reply. As I've said I literally know nothing. This is something I've always wanted to learn, and have always put it off out of fear of failure. Now at almost 40 I've decided to do this for me. I have never had a music lesson outside of elementary school, but I have always loved music. So I am also going to be taking physical lessons with a teacher that also teaches music theory for guitar, as well as doing this. I have been using the fender lessons app for a few days, but I just got my guitar last monday. I am just really afraid I will fail at this. It looks so hard, but I am willing to stick with it. Any pointers would be great.

# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
05/17/2019 6:43 pm
Originally Posted by: ashharrington15

Thank you so much for the reply. As I've said I literally know nothing. This is something I've always wanted to learn, and have always put it off out of fear of failure. Now at almost 40 I've decided to do this for me. I have never had a music lesson outside of elementary school, but I have always loved music. So I am also going to be taking physical lessons with a teacher that also teaches music theory for guitar, as well as doing this. I have been using the fender lessons app for a few days, but I just got my guitar last monday. I am just really afraid I will fail at this. It looks so hard, but I am willing to stick with it. Any pointers would be great.

The beauty is; you don't have to know anything. You gain that knowledge as you learn.

Think of it this way: If you want to be a nature hiker, you don't need to learn how to climb Mount Everest. So stop worrying about how hard Everest will be and work on the local trails. That kind of thing...

Start with the mindset that you just wanna play music and enjoy the progress you have along the way. You did ask about reading music. You do not need to know how to read music to do the Guitar Tricks program. No worry there. On average, guitar players are not big on reading music. Sure, the instructors here probably can but they're teaching you and have been playing for a very long time. However, you as a beginner, won't have to worry about that. I mean, I've been playing since 1982 and I can't read sheet music at all.

What you will find is what's referred to as 'tab' or 'tablature'. In the simplest explanation, it's used to tell you where you put your fingers whether as a chord or a single note. Using the Evesrest analogy, it's your playing sherpa ;)

Also, with Guitar Tricks, the tab used accompanies the video lesson. The instructor on screen is showing you what you're playing and the tab in the lesson is a reinforcment. It's made to take away that fear. You can 'see' the chord being played on screen and the tab will also reinforce what you see by showing what string and fret and so on.

At first you will feel like it is awkward playing guitar. It is. Throw a baseball with your non-dominant hand. I bet if you did it often enough, you could throw with that non-dominant hand pretty well. Guitar is similar; you're teaching yourself something you've never done.

Still, you might say to yourself, 'that all still seems like a lot'. It's not. The real beauty of learning is that when you're a beginner, you'll learn to play a song pretty early on. Sure, you won't be playing a Mozart classical piece but most popular music is only a few chords anyway. Play for a few decades? Yes your repetiore will grow but even the first few months you'll be surprised that you're going to be able to play something and build from there.

As Brandon said, start with Fundementals 1 and 2. It really is for someone in your boots. From the very beginning even down to how to hold the guitar and all.

Good luck!!

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.