Beginner Guitar Care/Tuning

VulcanCCIT
VulcanCCIT
05/20/2019 1:56 am

I am just checking on something they told me at Guitar Center where I bought my guitar...they told me to always use the Humidifier water bag and sit that in the strings (distilled water) after each use. Also to tune your guitar before playing each time. I have been doing the humidifyer, but I have not always tuned... I am not on stage and so far it has sounded just fine. However one day it did not sound fine and I KNEW it was out of tune. SOOOO do you tune before each use? Humidfy after each use? (Acoustic Guitar question)

Chuck,

Phoenix, Arizona

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
05/20/2019 5:39 am

Humidifier

The humidifier thing isn't something I've ever encountered and sounds like baloney to me. IME usually guitars come from the factory with dessicant bags (dehumidifiers) in their (store) storage box. Although that said, you do live in Phoenix AZ. Been there. Know how dry the air is, so using a humidifier in your climate might have some regional WX extreme relevance [u]in longer term storage[/u]? Ask [u]the other guy[/u] at your LGS "Why?".

Tuning

You should check your guitar is in tune on every occasion you pick up your guitar to play prior to playing. Until you develop and ear, you will [u]need[/u] a tuner. You can use this tool here as a reference to tune by ear.

There are numerous tuners available in the marketplace including free Android app tuners. I've used Fender's on my Android phone in the past and it's easy to use and pretty good. You can get it here.

That said, most people including myself use inexpensive electronic headstock tuners like this for everyday tuning if for nothing else their sheer convenience.

# 2
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
05/20/2019 6:24 pm

One of these issues is, IMO, a standard thing to do. The other, IMO, is noted for pro and con opinions from everywhere with the 'real' answer being dependent on the guitar's environment.

First, the 'standard' thing. Of course a guitar should/must be in tune before play... all instuments must be in tune before play. Otherwise... well, you know. I favor the Snark tuners that clip on the headstock. That being said, I've never used any other kind. Shop at the right place and you can find them under ten bucks.

Check the tuning is the first thing I do when sitting down with a guitar. Depending on the quality of the guitar and quality and age of the strings there may not be any adjustment needed between sessions but at some point there will be. Changes in temperature also have a major effect on affect tuning.

Humidity is a different issue with many different opinons which usually can be grouped into two sides; use a humidifier, don't use a humidifier. One thing for sure, too much humidity/moisture can screw up a guitar, too dry air can screw it up too... maybe more, certainly more commonly in my reading and experience. Both the fretboard and the sound box of guitars are at risk from inappropriate humidity.

Most, if not all, recommendations for 'guitar humidity' give a suggested range of 45 to 55%. In my case, the room in which I play and store the guitars seldom, if ever, gets as high as 45% so I use humidifiers; sometimes one, sometimes two depending on the style of guitar. I also have small, cheapie hygrometers (see Walmart) that I keep in the guitar cases to judge the impact of the humidifiers. I have compared the cheapie hygometers readings to a more expensive and reliable hygrometer so I have a more accurate picture of what's going on in the guitar case.

There are several styles of humidifiers sold and several home-made versions explained on YouTube. Do a Guitar Tricks and a YouTube search on the subject.

Note the hidden issue of guitar cases and storage. Humidifiers won't work well unless the guitars' are kept in a case. The alternative is a room that is humidity controlled. Keeping the guitar in a case is a must. Such storage also protects the guitar from kids and pets and dirt and harsh light. It's also an issue with lots of opinions. Mine is -- use a case for that cherished and expensive instrument.

Good luck, have fun.

john

an old line, the origin of which is lost... 'We spend half our time tuning our guitars, the other half playing out of tune.'

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 3
VulcanCCIT
VulcanCCIT
05/21/2019 2:44 am
Originally Posted by: john of MT

One of these issues is, IMO, a standard thing to do. The other, IMO, is noted for pro and con opinions from everywhere with the 'real' answer being dependent on the guitar's environment.

First, the 'standard' thing. Of course a guitar should/must be in tune before play... all instuments must be in tune before play. Otherwise... well, you know. I favor the Snark tuners that clip on the headstock. That being said, I've never used any other kind. Shop at the right place and you can find them under ten bucks.

Check the tuning is the first thing I do when sitting down with a guitar. Depending on the quality of the guitar and quality and age of the strings there may not be any adjustment needed between sessions but at some point there will be. Changes in temperature also have a major effect on affect tuning.

Humidity is a different issue with many different opinons which usually can be grouped into two sides; use a humidifier, don't use a humidifier. One thing for sure, too much humidity/moisture can screw up a guitar, too dry air can screw it up too... maybe more, certainly more commonly in my reading and experience. Both the fretboard and the sound box of guitars are at risk from inappropriate humidity.

Most, if not all, recommendations for 'guitar humidity' give a suggested range of 45 to 55%. In my case, the room in which I play and store the guitars seldom, if ever, gets as high as 45% so I use humidifiers; sometimes one, sometimes two depending on the style of guitar. I also have small, cheapie hygrometers (see Walmart) that I keep in the guitar cases to judge the impact of the humidifiers. I have compared the cheapie hygometers readings to a more expensive and reliable hygrometer so I have a more accurate picture of what's going on in the guitar case.

There are several styles of humidifiers sold and several home-made versions explained on YouTube. Do a Guitar Tricks and a YouTube search on the subject.

Note the hidden issue of guitar cases and storage. Humidifiers won't work well unless the guitars' are kept in a case. The alternative is a room that is humidity controlled. Keeping the guitar in a case is a must. Such storage also protects the guitar from kids and pets and dirt and harsh light. It's also an issue with lots of opinions. Mine is -- use a case for that cherished and expensive instrument.

Good luck, have fun.

john

an old line, the origin of which is lost... 'We spend half our time tuning our guitars, the other half playing out of tune.'

Yes I have the Snark and it works awesome... I do keep it in the bag with the humidfier. I checked another Guitar store here in Phoenix and they said the same thing, so I suppose it does not hurt. I already bought the little humidifier, so time will tell. Thank you all!

Chuck,

Phoenix, Arizona

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.