Do you take liberties (learning new songs)?

dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
06/20/2019 4:13 am

Kind of a vague question but I'm wondering how other people here go about learning new songs. Do you try to get it down exactly, or just honor the sentiment/vibe/feeling. Not too long ago I completed GF1. Before moving on to GF2, I have a list of about a dozen songs I would like to learn. Right now, I'm working on Driver's Seat by Sniff and the Tears. I started off trying to learn it exactly as I have seen it performed in a couple of instructional youtube videos and I think in a guitar-tab website. However, there's a place in the fairly repetitive chord changes where the guitarist omits a ghost strum, interupting the down up down up down up rhythm which is exactly what I was just told not to do in a GF lesson. Anyhoo, it was very awkward for me to try to do it as he does it, and eventually I just did it as it felt natural to me (with the ghost strum, not interupting my rhythm), and then I started embellishing it further by picking notes from the chords and incorporating other elements that I think captured the essence of the song (as I hear it in my head) but were hardly close to what the guitarist was doing on the track. Often, because recorded songs include bass players, and maybe multiple guitar parts, etc., trying to mimic what the lead (or rhythm) guitarist is doing doesn't sound quite right if you are, like me, just some guy in his house trying to play a pleasing version of a favorite song. He's playing electric, I'm playing acoustic with no accompaniment, etc.

Also, I guess this depends on your experience level, but I'm wondering if other's try to learn a song close to perfectly before moving on to another song or if, like me, they just get it as well as they think they can get it given their current abilities and then move on. Do you work on multiple songs at a time or get one as good as its going to get before moving on?

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/20/2019 8:14 am

Hi

I'm approaching 7mos in so take that in consideration in my response. If I was skilled at the guitar I might find myself zipping up and down the neck and improvising and embellishing just because I could. But sadly, I can't.

As a student of the guitar I strive to learn what is being taught. That's my goal. At this stage with the songs I am trying to learn I am able to follow along with the exception of the full version of Honkey Tonk which I am finding challenging. So I keep working on it but am not so focused that it's all I do. This would lead to frustration and stagnation.

When I do learn a song and am comfortable with it I will sometimes mix things up. An example would be Wild Horses Made Easy. I still go back and play this from time to time but might change the strum pattern once in a while just for the heck of it.

I should also say here that even on the songs I have learned, there may be sections I struggle with, F chord for example. I just play through. Eventually the parts I am rough on tend to improve.

I do this for personal enjoyment. I'm not getting paid for this

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
06/20/2019 12:44 pm
Originally Posted by: dlwalke

Kind of a vague question but I'm wondering how other people here go about learning new songs. Do you try to get it down exactly, or just honor the sentiment/vibe/feeling.

[/quote]

Two sides to this answer and they are 'Yes and No'...cleverly..

In the end, it's about music and enjoying the ability to play music. My opinion, this is first and foremost so you should play to enjoy. If that means you might take liberties, so be it. Play to enjoy. That's the 'no, don't worry too much about getting it down exactly.

However, you are learning to improve your skill and don't want to just start skipping things because you don't like doing them. I've been playing for decades but skipped a nice chunk of theory because I didn't like it. It was why I joined GT years ago. I can play and intuitively knew certain things but realized that as I got older, I sensed I really missed things that would help me even more enjoy playing the instrument. Like I do now. So, 'yes you should learn things even if they're hard.

Just know the line between the two things above. That's the key.

Originally Posted by: dlwalke

Right now, I'm working on Driver's Seat by Sniff and the Tears.

Well Done. It's that song for those of us growing up in the 70's that when you ask someone 'hey remember 'Driver's Seat'?' ...and you get the blank look..until you play it for them.

Now that song will be in my head all day...and I'm ok with that.

[quote=dlwalke]

However, there's a place in the fairly repetitive chord changes where the guitarist omits a ghost strum, interupting the down up down up down up rhythm which is exactly what I was just told not to do in a GF lesson.

See my answer above. Just adding that the goal is to play something and if you do it differently with the same result, cool. Some things like ergonomics (how to hold the guitar etc) should be observed but, we are all different and if you need to execute a riff or melody a little differently, do it. Sure, challenge yourself on stuff if you can and take time learning to do something you right now can't do. You never know if that will help you in the future.

Still, always play to enjoy.

# 3
bbriant
bbriant
06/27/2019 9:53 pm

Just listen to John Lennons Rock and Roll album, loads of liberties but all good.

# 4
Old Bones
Full Access
Old Bones
Full Access
06/28/2019 3:29 am

I initially try to get it down exactly. Then once I pretty much have that I gradually add my own liberties and changes. Sometimes it is to make a part bit easier for me to play and sometimes I add my own touches.

# 5
Old Bones
Full Access
Old Bones
Full Access
07/02/2019 9:35 pm

I have been thinking about this a bit more. When I start learning a new song, I am trying to get the notes the fingering and the techniques right and I am counting the beat to see where it all fits in. I usually play to the bakcing track slowed down to get this right. I then mix up between playing full speed and slowed down.

At some point it just seems to fall into place and I suddenly get the "feel" of the music. Then it starts to flow. No longer do I need to count because I seem to naturally know where the notes fit in.

It is from this point that my own nuances seem to creep in and I start to play some parts a little different to the original because they "feel" right to me. But there are places where I always seem to land on a particular note at a particular place in the music that was always there and makes it feel right.

Now that I analyse this, I tend to hold the bends longer and catch up on the runs.

# 6
jreyn1
jreyn1
07/09/2019 1:54 pm

😂 lol…I’m a 56 year old guitarist and have been playing since the age of 12, I have learned many many songs over the past 40 some odd years and some completely exact like the original recordings and some, well… let’s say with my own little twist or style. Growing up as a teenager in the 70’s (high school class of 1980) I actually had to google the song title to hear exactly what song you’re referring to. I do remember this song I just was unaware of the title and name of the band but I do remember the tune after listening to it and there are two guitar players a bassist and keyboardist with the drummer and back up vocalist and lead vocals who also plays guitar so there is no way to get this song to sound exactly like the recording by yourself with just one acoustic or even just an electric guitar for that matter. My advice to you would be to just learn the chords and the basic strumming rhythm pattern and do the best you can and have fun, it’s never going to sound exactly like the recording and there’s no sense of beating yourself up to try to do something that’s impossible to do by yourself just have fun and move onto the next song, that’s What playing the guitar is all about, Having fun.

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.