C Am Em chords finger placement

n.lukiv
n.lukiv
07/18/2019 9:01 am

Hello, guitarists

I'm starting to learn guitar, and one thing is bothering me. Cannot find explanation or similar question anywhere.

So there are basic chords - Am, Em, C. They teach that finger placement for these chords looks like this:

It seems to me this is much easier when switching between chords: to move from Am to Em you have only to change third finger position and remove first finger, and to move from Em to C you just have to put third finger one fret higher and first finger back as in Am

Is there anything I'm missing? Why don't they teach Em with second and third finger instead first and second?

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
07/18/2019 4:37 pm

Hi there,

This is a good question. The basic explanation is that, there's no hard rule for how to place your fingers to make a chord. General rule of thumb is to do what's comfortable for you, but make sure your fingers aren't so wildly off that it will hamper your progression later on.

I think it's perfectly fine to use your 2nd and 3rd finger to play an Em. I switch between using my 1st and 2nd finger on Em, and using my 2nd and 3rd, depending on the chord progression. Sometimes I even find myself using the 3rd and 4th finger (pinky) after sliding down from a F or G barre chord.

Do whatever works for you, as long as it's comfortable and easy enough for you to switch to the next chord.

I hope that helps!

Best,

Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
jgul54
Full Access
jgul54
Full Access
07/23/2019 10:40 pm
Originally Posted by: n.lukiv

Hello, guitarists

I'm starting to learn guitar, and one thing is bothering me. Cannot find explanation or similar question anywhere.

So there are basic chords - Am, Em, C. They teach that finger placement for these chords looks like this:

It seems to me this is much easier when switching between chords: to move from Am to Em you have only to change third finger position and remove first finger, and to move from Em to C you just have to put third finger one fret higher and first finger back as in Am

Is there anything I'm missing? Why don't they teach Em with second and third finger instead first and second?

That's exactly how I normally play Em. Not only is it easier for the transitions you noted above, but you'll be one step ahead of the game when you start to learn barre chords. BTW, I also do the same with G Major (pinky G), D Major, etc.

You'll find that having learned to reserve that pointer finger will come in quite handy for more than a few songs - Sweet Home Alabama (G and D) is one, pick any Ramones (barre) song for another.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.