New User Confused

louie728
louie728
09/13/2019 3:17 pm

Hello all I started learning about 2 years ago using justinguitar. I stopped playing for a year and recently started up again (like 2 weeks). I decided to start from step one again and also decided to try GuitarTricks ( about the 3rd day). I started with core 1 and am a bit lost with what I should be practicing. I guess I expect to have my hand held a little more?

In Justin's courses it was specfic. 1 minute changes etc... I dont see that here and I find myself just spider walking for a bit and practicing chords I know etc along with simple chordsin the lessons (which are a bit too simple but why not for the moment).. Am I missing something? What do you do? Is it more structred later?

# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
09/13/2019 4:48 pm
Originally Posted by: louie728

Hello all I started learning about 2 years ago using justinguitar. I stopped playing for a year and recently started up again (like 2 weeks). I decided to start from step one again and also decided to try GuitarTricks ( about the 3rd day). I started with core 1 and am a bit lost with what I should be practicing. I guess I expect to have my hand held a little more?

In Justin's courses it was specfic. 1 minute changes etc... I dont see that here and I find myself just spider walking for a bit and practicing chords I know etc along with simple chordsin the lessons (which are a bit too simple but why not for the moment).. Am I missing something? What do you do? Is it more structred later?

Did you start with Fundementals 1? (Link >>)

This is a good place to start (and good to go in order too). With that said, if you've had lessons before and are comfortable with ergonomics of holding a guitar etc, you can skip a lot of that stuff. The reason I linked to the specific page above is that is a chapter layout where you can see the groups of lessons and hone in on where it's best for you to start if you've already had experience. Some of the lessons have a more informational bent to them in that you need to learn both the 'How' (learn to physically play something) as well as 'Why' (learning how the peices of this whole music puzzle come together).

Once you've worked through Fundementals 1, move on to Fundementals 2 and from there you're ready to start delving in to the style of music you like.

Keep in mind, it's music and not scientific theory with absolute laws...so if you find you just want to noodle in the instrument because you learned something and are having fun playing it, cool. In the end, that's the point, enjoy playing it. Things like Guitar Tricks are tools to get you there. Just don't forget to have fun along the way.

Also, when you have confidence with some chords changes, in the Songs section, there are 'Made Easy' versions of songs that are worth messing with. Like any song, even though it's 'Made Easy' there's a learning curve and practice needed.

Just don't foget to enjoy playing. Even when it's hard at times, with the right mindset and understanding that you leasrn in small steps, it can be very enjoyable.

# 2
louie728
louie728
09/13/2019 8:46 pm

Thanks for the reply Jeff. I am doing that core 1 and enjoying it. Maybe I just need to get a little deeper into it..

# 3
manXcat
manXcat
09/13/2019 10:25 pm

Hi louie728

If you're played guitar before and given it a go for any length of time, and such a short time ago, you're probably already familiar with playing most of the open chords and a few barre chords even if the foundations are sketchy.

With no deprecation or disrespect intended, Lisa's Fundamentals 1 is very hand holding and contemporary soft teaching style orientated. Some will prefer that, others not.

For those preferring a more conventional hierachical structure, you might like to try Christopher's superseded Fundamentals course found here.

[u]Whichever you prefer, just keep working through it. [/u]

Think of this analogy with elementary school aka primary shool in other countries. Part of the problem is you've rightly put yourself back in first grade (Fundamentals 1) because you quit and never completed first grade. This is going to reoccur every time you quit, regardless the reason.

But from JG you already know much of the work others in first grade at 'your new school' don't, so find your attention span challenged in repeating [u]those parts[/u] of first grade. With that preknowledge, you should fly through Fundamentals 1, but be sure to pay attention to everything and complete it before moving on. In particular, achieving competency with the demonstrated skills taught in F1 as a foundation. Be honest [u]with yourself[/u] in assessment here.

Ultimately, endorsing what JeffS65 said in the final paragraph of his post above. Just [u]be patient[/u] and [u]enjoy[/u] what you're doing [u]now[/u]. Crawl, walk, run, You'll get to greater challenges and structure soon enough [u]if you stick with it[/u]. If you don't enjoy what you're doing, you won't.

# 4
louie728
louie728
09/16/2019 8:19 pm

Thanks I appreciate the responses...

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.