My wife thinks I have officially lost it

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
02/16/2020 5:07 pm

I was cleaning my home office this morning and realized "hey...that big Peavy Bass cab will fit right under this window - like it was made to be there!!" I am not an overly spiritual man, but I can read a sign when I see it.

My wife's reaction was a little cooler than mine: "not another room with a guitar in it!?"

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 1
Frizzy Totay
Frizzy Totay
02/16/2020 8:37 pm

Nice.

There are never enough rooms guitars in them Ć°ÅøŽĀøĆ°ÅøŽĀøĆ°ÅøŽĀø

# 2
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
02/16/2020 9:00 pm

Deep down, I'm sure she's just relieved your growing obsession isn't with motorcycles.

# 3
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
02/16/2020 9:16 pm

well, there are 4 down stairs plus the car...

# 4
spb1122
Full Access
spb1122
Full Access
02/17/2020 12:28 am

Two things:

1.) That amp fits absoluetely PERFECTLY under that window.

2.) My obsession with motorcycles is => my obsession with guitars.

That is all.

# 5
Joe105
Joe105
02/17/2020 8:49 am

William. It looks very nice to me. A tidy set up.

Joe

# 6
JeffS65
JeffS65
02/18/2020 6:25 pm
Originally Posted by: William MG

I was cleaning my home office this morning and realized "hey...that big Peavy Bass cab will fit right under this window - like it was made to be there!!" I am not an overly spiritual man, but I can read a sign when I see it.

My wife's reaction was a little cooler than mine: "not another room with a guitar in it!?"

Fit's like a glove. I mean, it's like Peavey said; 'Hey, there's gonna be a dude down the road that's going to want to lay it down under a window, let's make sure that it's only this wide.'

Nice.

In my new house, I have to now figure out how I'll get them all displayed in my office and make sure it looks cool.

.....since I have a new guitar being delivered today. So there's that.

# 7
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
02/18/2020 8:15 pm

Hope you give us a pic Jeff

# 8
JeffS65
JeffS65
02/19/2020 3:17 pm

Hope you give us a pic Jeff

Not the best lighting in the new house music/office room (yet). But, you can tell it's a blue Les Paul P90 double cut.

# 9
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
02/19/2020 6:50 pm

very nice Jeff. I would like to have a guitar with P90s.

# 10
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
02/19/2020 8:15 pm

Very nice JeffS65. I'm excited for you.

And who doesn't enjoy 'show and tell'!

Cheers,

manXcat

# 11
JeffS65
JeffS65
02/20/2020 12:55 pm

very nice Jeff. I would like to have a guitar with P90s.

Not gonna lie; that's exactly why I got it. I was pining for a P90 guitar and since Gibson is refreshing the Les Paul Special line, this was on sale for a ridiculous $400 off. Can't pass that up. It was my Valentines Day gift from my wife. Though, she got a gorgeous handmade necklace (actually two...so she did alright herself).[br][br]

This guitar is really a player. Out of the box, it was a quick tune up and the set up was pretty on point. I had a tough time putting it down the first (and second) time I played.

She's $599 right now at Guitar Center and Chicago Music Exchange for those wanting a P90 guitar. Truly, when these are gone, they're gone.

# 12
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
02/20/2020 2:09 pm

Well, our price up here is just a few dollars more...

# 13
JeffS65
JeffS65
02/20/2020 2:44 pm

Well, our price up here is just a few dollars more...

Ouch. And since I used to ship to Canada often, that'll never make through without an hefty assessment if you ordered fromn the US.

Jeff

# 14
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
02/20/2020 10:19 pm

Had a look yesterday William MG. During my search, spotted the Guitar Center promo at USD$599 on that specific model. Gibson field a zillion different Jnr. config and colour models. That one with its double P90 config is on closeout. SRP of USD$999, typical 'street' r/etail for that model had been less, but $599 NEW in relative earnings terms is a tasty bargain. Very sweet.

As jeffS65 said, paraphrased, "once its gone, it's gone". More luck to him, he chanced upon the opportunity to buy a guitar he intimated at Xmas was on his GAS lust list at a bargain price. I had the luck to score the same with my most recent couple of end of model stock remaindering (US -closeout) amp purchases, although chancing upon the tube minutes after the deal posted and acting quickly was what landed that fish. Their entire Blonde stock sold (all the AU distro had) out in 20 minutes. It's a satisfying feeling, emotionally, and to the GAS budget balance.

If it makes you feel any less the downtrodden hoi polloi up there in Canada at its CN$ price, have pity for the insane price anyone stupid enough to buy Gibson in the antipodes must typically pay.

[br]This is average lower street for that guitar here. o.O !!!!!!

Fortunately so many alternatives abound in 2020, for those of us in ROW refusing to be gouged by Fender or Gibson [u]Corporations[/u], there's just no need to fund CEO bonuses unless brand bias blind.

Oh for the days when Made in Japan was no longer a synonym for junk, but the JP¥ still was when I scored my first Ibanez lawsuit SG.

# 15
JeffS65
JeffS65
02/25/2020 5:03 pm
Originally Posted by: manXcat Fortunately so many alternatives abound in 2020, for those of us in ROW refusing to be gouged by Fender or Gibson [u]Corporations[/u], there's just no need to fund CEO bonuses unless brand bias blind.

Oh for the days when Made in Japan was no longer a synonym for junk, but the JP¥ still was when I scored my first Ibanez lawsuit SG.

[p]

There's a great point here for the availability of very playable andaffordable instruments.Compared to when I was first starting, there was a huge gap between the 'quality' brands and everyone else. You had few choices. Go cheap and not as playable or spend the bucks.

Now? There is an enormous number of great instruments at really affordable prices that aren't Gibson or Fender. Even then, Gibson and Fender are paying attention to their value brands (like Squire or Epiphone) because they're getting taken to the 'budget priced' cleaners. That's just my opinion but with great value instruments, it's very competitive and that's good for all players.

I do (sorta) differ on Japanese instruments. When Ibanez started making guitars that all the 80's metal guitarists wanted, I think that upped the game for other Japanese players like ESP etc. I think guitars actually made in Japan are pretty high quality. When Fender was (temporarily) own by a Japanese company, the took a '63 Strat as it's template. They wanted to change how Fender had been viewed during its CBS years (less than stellar).

I suppose though, it's a matter of perspective too.

# 16
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
02/25/2020 7:45 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65
Originally Posted by: manXcat Fortunately so many alternatives abound in 2020, for those of us in ROW refusing to be gouged by Fender or Gibson [u]Corporations[/u], there's just no need to fund CEO bonuses unless brand bias blind.

[p]

There's a great point here for the availability of very playable andaffordable instruments.Compared to when I was first starting, there was a huge gap between the 'quality' brands and everyone else. You had few choices. Go cheap and not as playable or spend the bucks.

Now? There is an enormous number of great instruments at really affordable prices that aren't Gibson or Fender. Even then, Gibson and Fender are paying attention to their value brands (like Squire or Epiphone) because they're getting taken to the 'budget priced' cleaners. That's just my opinion but with great value instruments, it's very competitive and that's good for all players.

I do (sorta) differ on Japanese instruments. When Ibanez started making guitars that all the 80's metal guitarists wanted, I think that upped the game for other Japanese players like ESP etc. I think guitars actually made in Japan are pretty high quality. When Fender was (temporarily) own by a Japanese company, the took a '63 Strat as it's template. They wanted to change how Fender had been viewed during its CBS years (less than stellar).

What period are you referring to when Fender were owned by a Japanese company? I know about when Fender set up the Japanese manufacturing in 1982 as a way to reduce the damage being done financially by the cheaper Japanese imports by companies like Tokai who in a lot of people's opinion were actually making better guitars than fender at the time. But I've never heard of Fender being owned by a Japanese company during the history of the company.

# 17
JeffS65
JeffS65
02/25/2020 8:43 pm
Originally Posted by: fuzzb0x
Originally Posted by: JeffS65

[p]

What period are you referring to when Fender were owned by a Japanese company? I know about when Fender set up the Japanese manufacturing in 1982 as a way to reduce the damage being done financially by the cheaper Japanese imports by companies like Tokai who in a lot of people's opinion were actually making better guitars than fender at the time. But I've never heard of Fender being owned by a Japanese company during the history of the company.

Though I didn't get as detailed; post-CBS in that era was a joint venture between the new US owners and a Japanese maker (that I don't recall...I'm old). I was just shorcutting the ownership description. I suppose Google would help me ;)

Anyway, I think what the US owners bought was pretty much the name and why I think they reverse engineered the Strat from a pre-CBS '63. They had nothing else like patents and all that.

But anyone can fact check. I can't pretend that I really know the history....

# 18
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
02/25/2020 9:01 pm

I think I know the period you are referring to, in 1984/5 CBS sold Fender to the employees of the factory and it was renamed Fender Musical Instruments Corporation, during this period when they were waiting for a new factory to be built the Japanese manufacturing filled the gap left from the American factory but these guitars were made by the FujiGen Gakki factory who started making the Fender Japan line of guitars in 1982.

They were some really good guitars and good bang for your buck on the second hand market.

# 19
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
02/26/2020 1:09 am
Originally Posted by: JeffS65Compared to when I was first starting, there was a huge gap between the 'quality' brands and everyone else. You had few choices. Go cheap and not as playable or spend the bucks.

Guitars here were very expensive when I bought my first ('73) and second (late '74 or early '75). Yamaha and Ibanez both were [u]very[/u] new players in the guitar industry, both then Made in Japan because the JPY like the DM at the time, was a rubbish currency rendering Japanese and German production favourably competitive. Even established acoustic brand Takamine was expensive compared with Yamaha product. And Ibanez branding evoked a "Who?" response. A complete unknown. I bought my Yamaha acoustic through recommendation and on affordability. I was a student paying my own way with a part time job, and my Ibanez later because it was a fraction of the price of a Gibson SG, but not a fraction of the quality.

Unfortunately the word "cheap" today is more frequently misconstrued than not in a dumbed down society. Cheap isn't a synonym for "junk" without qualifiying context, even where it is miscomprehended as such in the minds of those knowing no better.

[br]The future of Gibson and Fender over the next two decades will be interesting, although I doubt I'll still be here to witness the result. Their current sales model depends on their marketing sustaining self-propogation of the brand association mythology to maintain their price points with sufficient numbers buying it, figuratively and literally. They're fortunate in having their core brand influenced buying demographic in the US where of course, coincidentially their pricing structures are at their affordable optimum.

[br][u]Today[/u], Squier and Epiphone product generally is [u]relative[/u] rubbish compared with Yamaha and Cort [u]at any near equivalent price point[/u], and in many cases considerably more. Fitted OEM hardware, build quality, finish, quality control & price point. Of course, the cost of Asian manufacture is increasing, something which predictably must continue given current globalisation policies, which with the exception of the PRC whose currency is outside the control of the banking cartel must effect substantially increased prices in time. But they've a lot of meat to carve before Fender or Gibson can begin to play a truly level playing field relying on other than nostalgia associative branding to gouge their pound of flesh.

Current marketplace choices and affordability has never been better for guitarists IME of the past three years, and, a long time ago. The caveat, admission I was out of that awareness picture of course for many decades.

My Ibanez SG (1974 Japanese manuf. origin) was of [u]exceptionally[/u] high build quality and finish. More importantly, its price permitted me to buy an electric guitar immediately whereas I would have been saving another year or more for a Gibson, yet neither enjoyed nor played it any better.

I don't really like condecension in anyone, but I do hold in contempt brand and price status snobs who believe in their own mind an expensive instrument is necessary to affect competency or deliver stellar performance from it. Case in point.

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.