I am having problems tuning when i don't use tuner

Guitar Tricks Forum > Open Discussion > I am having problems tuning when i don't use tuner

FieryGuitarist123

Full Access

I use YouTube most of the time when tuning, but what if I don't have internet? I've tried tuning my guitar without the tuner. I press the fifth fret lower e string and hit the a string and listen to it until it's sounding the same as the lower e string I'm fretting. The problem is, what if my lower e string is out of tune?

I use YouTube most of the time when tuning, but what if I don't have internet? I've tried tuning my guitar without the tuner. I press the fifth fret lower e string and hit the a string and listen to it until it's sounding the same as the lower e string I'm fretting. The problem is, what if my lower e string is out of tune?

vjy

Full Access

Originally Posted by: FieryGuitarist123

I use YouTube most of the time when tuning, but what if I don't have internet? I've tried tuning my guitar without the tuner. I press the fifth fret lower e string and hit the a string and listen to it until it's sounding the same as the lowere string I'm fretting. The problem is, what if my lower e string is out of tune?

Sounds good. You can check that 6th string E using a pitch pipe, can be a useful thing to have in your guitar accessories. I like to tune mine by the relative tuning method, like you've been doing, just to 'wake-up' my ear a bit, but often do just check them through to a digital tuner afterwards, or failing that a pitchpipe where the batteries dont run out.

Originally Posted by: FieryGuitarist123

I use YouTube most of the time when tuning, but what if I don't have internet? I've tried tuning my guitar without the tuner. I press the fifth fret lower e string and hit the a string and listen to it until it's sounding the same as the lowere string I'm fretting. The problem is, what if my lower e string is out of tune?

Sounds good. You can check that 6th string E using a pitch pipe, can be a useful thing to have in your guitar accessories. I like to tune mine by the relative tuning method, like you've been doing, just to 'wake-up' my ear a bit, but often do just check them through to a digital tuner afterwards, or failing that a pitchpipe where the batteries dont run out.

snojones

Full Access

....or just buy a clamp on tuner and keep it in your guitar case. I actually saw a video that stated that using a tuner is the only accurate way to tune a guitar. I suspect that perfect pitch would also do but that is harder to come by.

....or just buy a clamp on tuner and keep it in your guitar case. I actually saw a video that stated that using a tuner is the only accurate way to tune a guitar. I suspect that perfect pitch would also do but that is harder to come by.

FieryGuitarist123

Full Access

I don't have a clamp on tuner and I won't go to the music store just for my safety because of COVID-19.

I don't have a clamp on tuner and I won't go to the music store just for my safety because of COVID-19.

davem_or

Full Access

That's a good question. You're tuning your guitar relative to itself. Nothing wrong with that as long as you're playing alone. When I first started playing (long time ago) I used an A440 tuning fork. Just looked and saw you can buy them for 5 or 6 dollars. The epitome of being off the grid. No electricity No batteries required.

That's a good question. You're tuning your guitar relative to itself. Nothing wrong with that as long as you're playing alone. When I first started playing (long time ago) I used an A440 tuning fork. Just looked and saw you can buy them for 5 or 6 dollars. The epitome of being off the grid. No electricity No batteries required.

hsnoeckx

Full Access

There are also tuning apps for your smartphone, in the old days from before the smartphone you lifted off the horn of a landline telephone and the tone that you heard was A440 hz or the 5th string.

There are also tuning apps for your smartphone, in the old days from before the smartphone you lifted off the horn of a landline telephone and the tone that you heard was A440 hz or the 5th string.

hsnoeckx

Full Access

Originally Posted by: davem_or

Yes definetely wrong, by tuning your guitar every time before you play it you develope a kind of perfect pitch to, even if you don't realise it.

Originally Posted by: davem_or

Yes definetely wrong, by tuning your guitar every time before you play it you develope a kind of perfect pitch to, even if you don't realise it.

snojones

Full Access

As to music stores and not wanting to get exposed to the Covfefe Plague... You could order a tuner, or a tuning fork, or a pitch pipe from somebody like Musician's Friend and have it shipped to your house. If you want further security, let the package sit for a week and that should render it safe. Covfefe doesn't seem do well outside the body where it has nothing to prey on.

As to music stores and not wanting to get exposed to the Covfefe Plague... You could order a tuner, or a tuning fork, or a pitch pipe from somebody like Musician's Friend and have it shipped to your house. If you want further security, let the package sit for a week and that should render it safe. Covfefe doesn't seem do well outside the body where it has nothing to prey on.

matonanjin2

Just download tunings for your 6 strings on your guitar as mp3's to play on your computer or phone to tune against. Get mp's of E, A, D, G, B and high E and your set. There has to be hundreds of places on the web to get these for free.

I'm sure I have hundreds on my computer Every course from TrueFire has them. (I know. shouldn't mention that here!) Every issue of Guitar Techniques magazine has them on the included CD. There has to be some on YT that you can download.

Just download tunings for your 6 strings on your guitar as mp3's to play on your computer or phone to tune against. Get mp's of E, A, D, G, B and high E and your set. There has to be hundreds of places on the web to get these for free.

I'm sure I have hundreds on my computer Every course from TrueFire has them. (I know. shouldn't mention that here!) Every issue of Guitar Techniques magazine has them on the included CD. There has to be some on YT that you can download.

bevhippy

Full Access

There is a reference tuner in the toolbox on here.

There is a reference tuner in the toolbox on here.