string change fail

ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
08/07/2020 3:32 pm

thought I was being practical having a spare set of strings to habd

Over tightened a D string messing with tuning.

No problem

Expensive 1st lesson.

Poked through hole in saddle but went straight under the bridge rather than fishing and going over.

I quite got the hang of setting the spare amount from the pegs.

But then ruined this by pulling the spare through the tuner and then tightening.

Plus I was planning on using light strings 8-40s

Twang , twang and having cut my old strings off couldn't go back.

So total fail and ordered strings won't be here until Monday

Learnt by my mistakes and rewatched Christophers tute on string changing

# 1
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
08/07/2020 4:30 pm

Frustrating. I've only restrung mine once so far and I broke the high E string the first time so was glad I had two sets of strings. The windings on the pegs didn't turn out all that pretty either, but I don't have to adjust the tuning constantly so it's good enough, just not very pretty. Hopefully I will do a better job of it next time.

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 2
alamogeorge
alamogeorge
08/07/2020 7:18 pm

I feel your pain. I have changed electric guitar strings a few times, even as a non-player, and I have even changed classical strings with no problem. This past week I proudly repaired the cracked neck on my son's acoustic and changed the strings while I was at it. I had never changed acoustic strings with pegs. I didn't break anything but I was cussing a couple of pegs flying out until I figured out the trick.

I thought the hard part was going to be repairing the cracked neck not the simple string change!

# 3
faith83
Full Access
faith83
Full Access
08/07/2020 7:49 pm

Every time I change strings, I think of the guitar techs who change strings for performers during live shows and how quick they have to be! Glad I don't have their job, though I suppose if I did I would be definintion be better at changing strings than I am now.

"I got this guitar and I learned how to make it talk."

# 4
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
08/09/2020 8:17 pm

Back in action.

3 sets of Ernie Ball super Slinky arrived today.

8-38.

Took my time.

Saddle was fiddly. Then I realised each little saddle could be turned 90 degrees to get the string through, then turn back and line up.

Tuned and off we go again.

2 spare sets in hand

# 5
mjgodin
mjgodin
08/09/2020 8:47 pm

I do believe there is a tutorial in one of the threads on how to do it or there is always YouTube. Everyone has their own method but follow the guitar techs, they know best as it's their living. I don't enjoy doing it. Probably why I don't subscribe to having a room full of guitars. I wouldn't want to change all them strings. Just one good one is all I need. [br][br]

Moe

# 6
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
08/10/2020 11:07 am

Moe, there is indeed a tutorial on Guitar Tricks.

I have watched it and others on Youtube.

How I realised my mistakes.

Never much mention around the saddle areas. Just thread strings through and voila.

Instructions tend to be around the tuning peg end.

Rewatching the GT tutorial was a big help

Dave.

# 7
JeffS65
JeffS65
08/10/2020 2:25 pm
Originally Posted by: faith83

Every time I change strings, I think of the guitar techs who change strings for performers during live shows and how quick they have to be! Glad I don't have their job, though I suppose if I did I would be definintion be better at changing strings than I am now.

I went to a small guitar workshop with Laurence Juber (MacCartney's Wings). A small group and a great workshop. Amazing guitar player. During the workshop, he was demonstrating/explaining something or other, broke string (wound D), didn't miss a beat in what he was explaining, all the while grabbing that D string, restringing and tuning...in like the span of three minutes!

My wife still talks about that.

And overall, easily one of the most musically astounding events I've been too. He has a shocking amount of skill and knowledge.

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.