Elixir strings

Guitar Tricks Forum > Open Discussion > Elixir strings

tammielyn.ts

Full Access

Hey

So, local music store 'talked me into' changing my strings from Ernie Ball (light gauge) which i LOVED the sound of to Elixirs. I hate the sound and find them very slippery. Anyone else have experience with Elixir strings and can understand my dilemna as a beginner with these strings. It totally changed the sound of my guitar. And when changing to G major, my finger index finger (one fretting the 6th string) just loves to slide. you may say to change right back, but the issue initially was the other ones at the 1st 2nd fret on the higher strings B,E were very tight. so hard to press down. I was told through the forum to have them lower action (even the strings were obviously higher than the others) and they said no, can't be adjusted, low as they can be. got to trust them right? But here i am with being talked into changing chords and now don't know what to do. any tips etc?

Hey

So, local music store 'talked me into' changing my strings from Ernie Ball (light gauge) which i LOVED the sound of to Elixirs. I hate the sound and find them very slippery. Anyone else have experience with Elixir strings and can understand my dilemna as a beginner with these strings. It totally changed the sound of my guitar. And when changing to G major, my finger index finger (one fretting the 6th string) just loves to slide. you may say to change right back, but the issue initially was the other ones at the 1st 2nd fret on the higher strings B,E were very tight. so hard to press down. I was told through the forum to have them lower action (even the strings were obviously higher than the others) and they said no, can't be adjusted, low as they can be. got to trust them right? But here i am with being talked into changing chords and now don't know what to do. any tips etc?

tammielyn.ts

Full Access

oops,. should have read changing strings

oops,. should have read changing strings

hsnoeckx

Full Access

manXcat

♪It's getting better all the time♫

Which Elixirs have you fitted? Polyweb or Nanoweb? Phospher Bronze or Bronze? I'm not a fan BTW. My Revstar (electric) came fitted with Elixirs. Gauge (10s) was good. Didn't care for their feel. Gone.

My "tip"? Go back to Ernie Balls if you like them and they work for you. Changing strings shouldn't have changed either the string tension or action if you stayed with the same gauge. Ernie Balls are decent strings, just too pricey for no other advantage in my neck of the woods. Of those I've tried over the past two and a half years, quite a few now, I prefer the feel and tone of uncoated acoustic strings. My acoustic gotos are D'Addario EJ16s, 12-53 uncoated phosphor bronze changed frequently.

For point of reference Yamaha OEM fitment for the FS800 are either D'Addario EXP11s or their own brand Yamaha FS50BT strings, market dependent. 12-53s which D'Addario refer to as Lights. EXPs are coated 80/20 bronze, with good tone which really suits smaller Concert bodied guitars like the FS series and APX series very well, although as already iterated, I think uncoated have superior tone. That gauge BTW is the most common fitment on new guitars from many manufacturers.

♪A little better all the time♫

Which Elixirs have you fitted? Polyweb or Nanoweb? Phospher Bronze or Bronze? I'm not a fan BTW. My Revstar (electric) came fitted with Elixirs. Gauge (10s) was good. Didn't care for their feel. Gone.

My "tip"? Go back to Ernie Balls if you like them and they work for you. Changing strings shouldn't have changed either the string tension or action if you stayed with the same gauge. Ernie Balls are decent strings, just too pricey for no other advantage in my neck of the woods. Of those I've tried over the past two and a half years, quite a few now, I prefer the feel and tone of uncoated acoustic strings. My acoustic gotos are D'Addario EJ16s, 12-53 uncoated phosphor bronze changed frequently.

For point of reference Yamaha OEM fitment for the FS800 are either D'Addario EXP11s or their own brand Yamaha FS50BT strings, market dependent. 12-53s which D'Addario refer to as Lights. EXPs are coated 80/20 bronze, with good tone which really suits smaller Concert bodied guitars like the FS series and APX series very well, although as already iterated, I think uncoated have superior tone. That gauge BTW is the most common fitment on new guitars from many manufacturers.

♪A little better all the time♫

ChristopherSchlegel

Guitar Tricks Instructor

Originally Posted by: tammielyn.ts

So, local music store 'talked me into' changing my strings from Ernie Ball (light gauge) which i LOVED the sound of to Elixirs. I hate the sound and find them very slippery.

I don't like coated strings either. Some people do. If you don't then go back to Ernie Ball strings!

you may say to change right back, but the issue initially was the other ones at the 1st 2nd fret on the higher strings B,E were very tight. so hard to press down. I was told through the forum to have them lower action (even the strings were obviously higher than the others) and they said no, can't be adjusted, low as they can be. got to trust them right?

I don't know what kind of guitar you have. But it's almost always possible to lower the action. At least to a playable standard. Unless you have a defective guitar.

If you have an acoustic guitar, then it might be necessary to remove & file down the entire treble side of the bridge. Or, just as often a problem with beginners on acoustic, the nut is installed too high or the slots are not cut deep enough to make good playable action.

But all of this depends on the knowledge & skill (or lack thereof) of the people doing the work. Is there another store in the area? A knowledgeable guitarists you personally know that can advise you?

Can you post pictures? Have you asked the GT tech Steve White?

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/threads.php?f=30

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory

So, local music store 'talked me into' changing my strings from Ernie Ball (light gauge) which i LOVED the sound of to Elixirs. I hate the sound and find them very slippery.

I don't like coated strings either. Some people do. If you don't then go back to Ernie Ball strings!

you may say to change right back, but the issue initially was the other ones at the 1st 2nd fret on the higher strings B,E were very tight. so hard to press down. I was told through the forum to have them lower action (even the strings were obviously higher than the others) and they said no, can't be adjusted, low as they can be. got to trust them right?

I don't know what kind of guitar you have. But it's almost always possible to lower the action. At least to a playable standard. Unless you have a defective guitar.

If you have an acoustic guitar, then it might be necessary to remove & file down the entire treble side of the bridge. Or, just as often a problem with beginners on acoustic, the nut is installed too high or the slots are not cut deep enough to make good playable action.

But all of this depends on the knowledge & skill (or lack thereof) of the people doing the work. Is there another store in the area? A knowledgeable guitarists you personally know that can advise you?

Can you post pictures? Have you asked the GT tech Steve White?

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/threads.php?f=30

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory

JeffS65

Full Access

Hey

My Taylor came loaded with Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze (013-.056) and I really dislike them. But, I've had them on the guitar for a good long time now and about to change out. I have set of Ernie Ball Earthwood Silk and Steel Extra Soft Acoustic Set, .010 - .050. They are supposed to be not quite as bright but I also find that my Taylor is good at projecting the more treble characteristics of a note. So, giving these a shot.

They are also supposed to be a little easier to play. Not that I worry so much about that but I find that the 13's are just a little too stout for how I want to play. We will see.

But, not a fan of the Elixirs either.

Hey

My Taylor came loaded with Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze (013-.056) and I really dislike them. But, I've had them on the guitar for a good long time now and about to change out. I have set of Ernie Ball Earthwood Silk and Steel Extra Soft Acoustic Set, .010 - .050. They are supposed to be not quite as bright but I also find that my Taylor is good at projecting the more treble characteristics of a note. So, giving these a shot.

They are also supposed to be a little easier to play. Not that I worry so much about that but I find that the 13's are just a little too stout for how I want to play. We will see.

But, not a fan of the Elixirs either.

tammielyn.ts

Full Access

uploaded image

uploaded image

tammielyn.ts

Full Access

uploaded image

uploaded image

tammielyn.ts

Full Access

Really appreciate the info,will take it all into consideration. I've got a Yamaha FS800. I posted three pics., the one of the strings, was the Ernie Ball light gauge i loved the sound of, but as you see the B and E string they are alot higher than the other strings and it was 'tight' at the 1st/2nd fret and difficult for me to fret. I have posted a pic of the nut for you to see why they said it can't be lowered anymore, and handed my guitar right back to me. Yeah, i just can't adjust to the sound of these strings, and being a new musician i need more comfort and ease learning not more challenges with slippery strings. It cost me $20 for the Elixir and another $20 plus for changing them., so after said and done $40 plus taxes. But at the end of the day that doesn't matter. At the end of the day, i need easy play action for myself and i need a good sound. Believe it or not, i can't really even mute the strings now properly when practicing strumming patterns etc. I'm learning the song, and intro Tennessee Whiskey and when i pluck for the opening riff,some of the other strings sound out with these Elixir's..it's crazy. I'm from a smaller city in Ontario and music stores aren't an easy find, this place i mentioned is the 'big name' around here., but i certainly will try to seek someone else out.

Really appreciate the info,will take it all into consideration. I've got a Yamaha FS800. I posted three pics., the one of the strings, was the Ernie Ball light gauge i loved the sound of, but as you see the B and E string they are alot higher than the other strings and it was 'tight' at the 1st/2nd fret and difficult for me to fret. I have posted a pic of the nut for you to see why they said it can't be lowered anymore, and handed my guitar right back to me. Yeah, i just can't adjust to the sound of these strings, and being a new musician i need more comfort and ease learning not more challenges with slippery strings. It cost me $20 for the Elixir and another $20 plus for changing them., so after said and done $40 plus taxes. But at the end of the day that doesn't matter. At the end of the day, i need easy play action for myself and i need a good sound. Believe it or not, i can't really even mute the strings now properly when practicing strumming patterns etc. I'm learning the song, and intro Tennessee Whiskey and when i pluck for the opening riff,some of the other strings sound out with these Elixir's..it's crazy. I'm from a smaller city in Ontario and music stores aren't an easy find, this place i mentioned is the 'big name' around here., but i certainly will try to seek someone else out.

tammielyn.ts

Full Access

uploaded image

uploaded image