Slide - another new avenue of learning

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/23/2020 11:34 am

Always so much for us beginners to learn. Latest for me as of last night actually, is slide. It began with a song I am writing and it hit me last night... I think this needs a slide. Off to the music store I went and started trying out the slide on an acoustic when I got home. Very tricky, but right now, for me, everything on guitar is tricky. But we can't let that stop us.

Keep practicing kids and keep exploring and having fun. I say this more and more to people my age who I have known for years and done business with and never had the foggiest idea they wanted to play guitar. But now, due to Covid, people have time. And I think it is great. And I always tell them - at this stage in life, none of us will ever be paid for playing guitar or singing, it has to be for us and for our enjoyment. So do what you can and enjoy the ride.

Good luck with your studies.

https://youtu.be/katv-FNsXBw

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 1
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
09/23/2020 4:06 pm

Hey William! That's great. Keep up the good work -- sounds like you've got the right vibe. Also like the phrase lengths. I like your video blogs. Going to subscribe.

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
09/23/2020 5:02 pm
Originally Posted by: William MG

Always so much for us beginners to learn. Latest for me as of last night actually, is slide. It began with a song I am writing and it hit me last night... I think this needs a slide. Off to the music store I went and started trying out the slide on an acoustic when I got home. Very tricky, but right now, for me, everything on guitar is tricky. But we can't let that stop us.

Keep practicing kids and keep exploring and having fun. I say this more and more to people my age who I have known for years and done business with and never had the foggiest idea they wanted to play guitar. But now, due to Covid, people have time. And I think it is great. And I always tell them - at this stage in life, none of us will ever be paid for playing guitar or singing, it has to be for us and for our enjoyment. So do what you can and enjoy the ride.

As long as I've been playing, I am just dreadful at slide. I watch Derek Trucks and his ability to make sing and and I just weep. Mostly out of jealosy!!!

Slide is tough. It's all about the touch. Your squishy fingertip when fretting normally are forgiving and you have 'touch'. Slide, there is a barrier between your flesh and the string, that slide. How hard to press? How far in to a note do you slide? How do you slide in to a note and make it sound nice? Tuning? ...and for the record, amny slide players do not use standard tuning.

So....I sit here looking at my Derek Trucks signature slide and a weep....

# 3
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/23/2020 5:10 pm
Originally Posted by: Carl King

Hey William! That's great. Keep up the good work -- sounds like you've got the right vibe. Also like the phrase lengths. I like your video blogs. Going to subscribe.

-Carl.

Hey, welcome aboard Carl!

I'm having so much fun learning guitar I hope others are able to pick up on the enthusiasm and it helps them to keep moving forward.

# 4
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/23/2020 5:11 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65
Originally Posted by: William MG

As long as I've been playing, I am just dreadful at slide. I watch Derek Trucks and his ability to make sing and and I just weep. Mostly out of jealosy!!!

Slide is tough. It's all about the touch. Your squishy fingertip when fretting normally are forgiving and you have 'touch'. Slide, there is a barrier between your flesh and the string, that slide. How hard to press? How far in to a note do you slide? How do you slide in to a note and make it sound nice? Tuning? ...and for the record, amny slide players do not use standard tuning.

So....I sit here looking at my Derek Trucks signature slide and a weep....

Yup, it's a tricky thing Jeff... A lot harder than it looks

# 5
theMolster
theMolster
09/24/2020 1:05 pm

Hey William.

Really great man, well done!

Cheers,

Moles

# 6
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/24/2020 4:55 pm

Thanks Moles, much appreciated.

# 7
Herman10
Herman10
09/25/2020 12:26 am

one tip William, keep the slide perfectly parrallel with the frets or you risk notes out of tune.

Herman

# 8
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/25/2020 1:42 am

Thanks Herman

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.