Cancel my membership and other gripes...

Guitar Tricks Forum > Open Discussion > Cancel my membership and other gripes...

William MG

Full Access

Hey kids,

learning guitar is not easy. I make no bones about it with anyone I speak to. But after investing time and effort late in life as many of us are doing, why quit when the going gets tough?

I get it when I read "Cancel my membership" and other gripes. But I think if we can backup a bit and just continue to work on the issues that are frustrating us, maybe we can get over the immediate hurdle that stands in our path.

Good luck with your studies

Quit now? Why?

"If it sounds cool, it is cool!"

Mike O

Works for me!

Hey kids,

learning guitar is not easy. I make no bones about it with anyone I speak to. But after investing time and effort late in life as many of us are doing, why quit when the going gets tough?

I get it when I read "Cancel my membership" and other gripes. But I think if we can backup a bit and just continue to work on the issues that are frustrating us, maybe we can get over the immediate hurdle that stands in our path.

Quit now? Why?

Mike O

Works for me!

ChristopherSchlegel

Guitar Tricks Instructor

Originally Posted by: William

Quit now? Why?

Kudos. Thanks, William!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory

Quit now? Why?

Kudos. Thanks, William!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory

William MG

Full Access

Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Quit now? Why?

Kudos. Thanks, William!

Pleasure. I can likely be a bit bolder than a GT employee. And it is never my intention to offend, but for many of us, we are at that stage where this will be our last attempt. A shame to throw it away over frustration.

Mike O

Works for me!

Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Quit now? Why?

Kudos. Thanks, William!

Pleasure. I can likely be a bit bolder than a GT employee. And it is never my intention to offend, but for many of us, we are at that stage where this will be our last attempt. A shame to throw it away over frustration.

Mike O

Works for me!

faith83

Peace, Love & John Denver

I agree. I'm dismayed by a culture that seems to have failed to teach people that it's hard to learn new things and you have to stick with it. Too many people seem to want instant gratification and to be able to reap the benefits of playing without doing the hard work that others have done.

Also, if you're going to leave, honestly, just go. Please stop clogging up the forum for those of us who are willing to put in the work with the gripes and threats... how's that for bold? ;-)

"You can get what you want or you can just get old." Billy Joel

I agree. I'm dismayed by a culture that seems to have failed to teach people that it's hard to learn new things and you have to stick with it. Too many people seem to want instant gratification and to be able to reap the benefits of playing without doing the hard work that others have done.

Also, if you're going to leave, honestly, just go. Please stop clogging up the forum for those of us who are willing to put in the work with the gripes and threats... how's that for bold? ;-)

"You can get what you want or you can just get old." Billy Joel

William MG

Full Access

Well said Faith

Mike O

Works for me!

Well said Faith

Mike O

Works for me!

JeffS65

Full Access

Though I fully agree with every word, I do think there is a need for tools or guides that help guitar players to understand what the journey of guitar playing is going to be like. Think of the huge number of guitarist just starting out here on GT. I've been a member for a good long time and seen many come and go. So many of them come here for 'counseling' with regard to the frustration as a beginner/early stage guitarist.

It's consistent, if nothing else. Every beginner deals with it at some level.

Every one of us went through or is still going through it. Think of what value group therapy has for people who need to contend with a personal problem. Sure, guitar playing is not that but the underlying concept is the same; it's helpful to know that others are dealing with the same problem.

Not that I get all sappy and think tht every guitar player needs a virtual hug. I don't. I came from a 'walk it off' type of upbringing. But it still remains that it is important that someone who's frustrated knows that it's almost universa;, that frustration.

Though there is very few down sides in a GT curriculum, it is the absense of that personal touch and encouragement of progress that a face to face teacher can give (if they're worth a darn). Virtual learning does not give this as well. It's the trade-off.

Who know, maybe I'll write a blog-thing with that in mind; Why Am I Terrible and Other Things Beginner Guitarist Think.

...or something like that.

Though I fully agree with every word, I do think there is a need for tools or guides that help guitar players to understand what the journey of guitar playing is going to be like. Think of the huge number of guitarist just starting out here on GT. I've been a member for a good long time and seen many come and go. So many of them come here for 'counseling' with regard to the frustration as a beginner/early stage guitarist.

It's consistent, if nothing else. Every beginner deals with it at some level.

Every one of us went through or is still going through it. Think of what value group therapy has for people who need to contend with a personal problem. Sure, guitar playing is not that but the underlying concept is the same; it's helpful to know that others are dealing with the same problem.

Not that I get all sappy and think tht every guitar player needs a virtual hug. I don't. I came from a 'walk it off' type of upbringing. But it still remains that it is important that someone who's frustrated knows that it's almost universa;, that frustration.

Though there is very few down sides in a GT curriculum, it is the absense of that personal touch and encouragement of progress that a face to face teacher can give (if they're worth a darn). Virtual learning does not give this as well. It's the trade-off.

Who know, maybe I'll write a blog-thing with that in mind; Why Am I Terrible and Other Things Beginner Guitarist Think.

...or something like that.

moosehockey18

Full Access

Great points all,

I`ll just add a story from my hockey days again. When I was in high school, we had a kid who tried out for the team as a goalie. He wasn`t quite good enough and got cut during tryouts. So what did he do ? Give up ? No, he spent the next 8 months working out, getting instruction and playing in as many pickup games as he could. He would spend hours and hours taking shots from whoever happened to be on the ice. All through the summer, he faced literally thousands of shots playing in countless pickup games while everyone else was enjoying the sun. The result ? When tryouts for the next seasson came around, not only did he make the team, he eventually became the starting goaltender.

Whether it`s sports, learning to play guitar or any other pursuit, these two rules ALWAYS apply:

1) You have to put in your time; there are no shortcuts.

2) If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Just that simple.

Great points all,

I`ll just add a story from my hockey days again. When I was in high school, we had a kid who tried out for the team as a goalie. He wasn`t quite good enough and got cut during tryouts. So what did he do ? Give up ? No, he spent the next 8 months working out, getting instruction and playing in as many pickup games as he could. He would spend hours and hours taking shots from whoever happened to be on the ice. All through the summer, he faced literally thousands of shots playing in countless pickup games while everyone else was enjoying the sun. The result ? When tryouts for the next seasson came around, not only did he make the team, he eventually became the starting goaltender.

Whether it`s sports, learning to play guitar or any other pursuit, these two rules ALWAYS apply:

1) You have to put in your time; there are no shortcuts.

2) If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Just that simple.

john of MT

Full Access

And then, there's Chet Atkins who kindly wrote my Forum signature below...

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins

And then, there's Chet Atkins who kindly wrote my Forum signature below...

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins

szega86

Restarting progress

Hi All,

I just started learning guitar and exploring the website, checking on different sessions, different difficulties topics while I'm progressing with the beginner course.

Now I have a kind of roadmap and practice routine so I know which courses I need to progress.

My problem is, that now my progress history is filled with many courses I just jumped into to check it's content and it mixes me up a bit.

Is there a way to clear my whole progression on the site? So I can start with a blank page.

Thanks in advance for any useful tips.

Restarting progress

Hi All,

I just started learning guitar and exploring the website, checking on different sessions, different difficulties topics while I'm progressing with the beginner course.

Now I have a kind of roadmap and practice routine so I know which courses I need to progress.

My problem is, that now my progress history is filled with many courses I just jumped into to check it's content and it mixes me up a bit.

Is there a way to clear my whole progression on the site? So I can start with a blank page.

JeffS65

Full Access

Originally Posted by: szega86

Hi All,

I believe that if you go to your history page, at the bottom of the history grid, there is a (very) small button to clear old history. I've never done it so I have no idea if it literally clears anything or what it does but that button is there. I would start with the assumption that it would everything in your history.

Originally Posted by: szega86

Hi All,

I believe that if you go to your history page, at the bottom of the history grid, there is a (very) small button to clear old history. I've never done it so I have no idea if it literally clears anything or what it does but that button is there. I would start with the assumption that it would everything in your history.