Practice Routine Suggestions

shoaibkkhan
shoaibkkhan
11/19/2020 6:40 pm

Hi Guys,

[br]I have completed Guitar Fundamentals 1 & 2 and I am now trying to find a practice routine to do everyday. I consider myself to be an advanced-beginner player and I was thinking of the following routine:

[br]Monday - Chords(Open Chords - Major & Minor/Suspended/Barre)[br]Tues - Open Scales[br]Wed - Keys[br]Thurs - Grid Scales[br]Fri - Arpeggios [br]Sat - Improvisation[br]Sun - Day Off or ? or Songwriting

[br]Can you guys please suggest a practice routine to follow as I go through Rock Fundamentals 1 & 2.

[br]Thanks,

[br]Shoaib Kamal Khan

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
11/19/2020 7:34 pm

Hey shoaibkkhan,

This sounds like a great practice routine! As long as you are picking up the guitar a little bit every day, that's the most important thing. I might even suggest a day or a time to just have fun! Do some strict practicing, but also make sure to enjoy yourself.

Enjoy the journey!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
11/19/2020 10:37 pm

I like the idea of a structured approach, I have used a structured approach since starting to learn 23 months ago and it has served me very well.

The main difference between what I do and what you have laid out, is that I tend to cover mutiple areas in my 1 hour daily practice session rather than dedicate an entire session to an area of study. For me, I don't believe I could work on scales for a complete hour. So I tend to break things up into minutes per session.

Chords

Scales

Theory

Improvising

Songs - which may include writing my own. I would find it very hard not to spend some time each day on a song.

This is the general outline.

I should note, that in regards to scales and chords, I now tend to group that into improvisation. I don't know every chord or scale, that is not my goal. The chords and scales I do know (common ones I guess) work well for what I am trying to accomplsh at this point.

good luck

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 3
shoaibkkhan
shoaibkkhan
11/19/2020 11:09 pm
Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks Admin

Hey shoaibkkhan,

This sounds like a great practice routine! As long as you are picking up the guitar a little bit every day, that's the most important thing. I might even suggest a day or a time to just have fun! Do some strict practicing, but also make sure to enjoy yourself.

Enjoy the journey!

Thanks a lot mate! If you have any other suggestions please let me know!😀

# 4
shoaibkkhan
shoaibkkhan
11/19/2020 11:12 pm
Originally Posted by: William MG

I like the idea of a structured approach, I have used a structured approach since starting to learn 23 months ago and it has served me very well.

The main difference between what I do and what you have laid out, is that I tend to cover mutiple areas in my 1 hour daily practice session rather than dedicate an entire session to an area of study. For me, I don't believe I could work on scales for a complete hour. So I tend to break things up into minutes per session.

Chords

Scales

Theory

Improvising

Songs - which may include writing my own. I would find it very hard not to spend some time each day on a song.

This is the general outline.

I should note, that in regards to scales and chords, I now tend to group that into improvisation. I don't know every chord or scale, that is not my goal. The chords and scales I do know (common ones I guess) work well for what I am trying to accomplsh at this point.

good luck

Thanks a lot William MG! I like your idea on splitting up my practice time. I will consider that. Thanks again for all your help!😀

# 5
shoaibkkhan
shoaibkkhan
11/19/2020 11:14 pm

If anyone has any other suggestions I would greatly appreciate them! I am trying to get as many suggestions as possible so I can design a very effective practice routine. Thanks!😀

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.