Playing Songs vs Understanding Songs

jeongminc.jm
jeongminc.jm
01/25/2021 1:54 pm

Hi, started playing guitar about a month ago. I've been having a lot of fun playing songs and learning chord progressions through the beginner's curriculum. But I can't help but feel this odd sense that I'm simply memorizing chord shapes and locations on the fret board, as opposed to taking away some transferrable skill from each song I learn to put into use when learning a new song.

Is this an issue I should be worried about? Any tips on how to mitigate this? Or will the understanding come naturally as I load on more songs? I've only learned like 4 songs so far. Thanks!

# 1
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
01/25/2021 6:09 pm
Originally Posted by: jeongminc.jm

Hi, started playing guitar about a month ago. I've been having a lot of fun playing songs and learning chord progressions through the beginner's curriculum. But I can't help but feel this odd sense that I'm simply memorizing chord shapes and locations on the fret board, as opposed to taking away some transferrable skill from each song I learn to put into use when learning a new song.

Is this an issue I should be worried about? Any tips on how to mitigate this? Or will the understanding come naturally as I load on more songs? I've only learned like 4 songs so far. Thanks!

Learning lots of songs over time, you'll do at least two things:

1. Get physical practice (strength, dexterity) which is always good.

2. Discover patterns that exist across songs and genres. "Oh, this is just that same pattern again from Song A but with an extra strum" instead of starting over each time.

In addition, learning some music theory is a good way of understanding what connects all music together in a shared language. Once you understand theory you'll see these underlying patterns and it's a HUGE shortcut. You'll learn songs more quickly, etc.

But don't worry too much -- you only know 4 songs. A lot of these patterns will become obvious to you. Keep at it!

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
01/25/2021 7:40 pm
Originally Posted by: jeongminc.jm

Like Carl, nothing you should be too terribly worried about. But, you probably are getting a sense that different songs have different feels to them and often people may not know why that is.

There was another thread a few days ago about a chord change from A Major to D minor (modulation). While I'll leave the theory out, one of the points that Chris S. made was that such modulations can lead to chord progressions with a melancholy vibe to them. Whereas a major-to-major chord change would feel a little more happy and so on.

The point being; as you are learning songs, it can't hurt to pay attention to the type of chord changes you're making and how that translates emotionally. It's not that you need to worry so much about theory early on, you don't. If you start digging in to theory, you'll see how these work mechanically. However, learning songs is where the rubber meets the road and where you can hear what these types of changes and modulations can do to present an emotion.

In short, be mindful but don't go so far down that road that you forget to just play, enjoy and feel.

# 3
intellectualdragon
intellectualdragon
01/26/2021 9:02 pm

so I joined this site in Nov of 2020 like many people on this site I started when I was younger and put it down for whatever reason . so at the ripe old age of fifty I picked it back up that was ten years ago. I play every day in the winter from sept, to may . Soo if your playings songs in just acouple of months your doing awsome . I have been at it for ten years cannot play a single song your my hero dude keep picking.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.