Teenage band trying to find our sound.

hunter.kane
hunter.kane
08/15/2020 4:34 pm

I am in a band, problem is we want to write music but we're having trouble finding our sound, We all love Sonic Youth, Alice in Chains, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Meat Puppets, AC/DC And, R.E.M. to name a few. We just need some help to find our sound, Thank you.

# 1
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
08/15/2020 4:41 pm

Keep jamming!!!! That is where unique sound will arise. Try out odd ball ideas, work at unexpected changes while you jam. Record everything a go back a decide what worked and what didn't as a group. You might be surprised how many great sounds of the past came from mistakes, or glitches. KEEP JAMMING.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 2
hunter.kane
hunter.kane
08/15/2020 6:38 pm
Originally Posted by: snojones

Keep jamming!!!! That is where unique sound will arise. Try out odd ball ideas, work at unexpected changes while you jam. Record everything a go back a decide what worked and what didn't as a group. You might be surprised how many great sounds of the past came from mistakes, or glitches. KEEP JAMMING.

thanks, I'll try it.

# 3
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
08/15/2020 8:36 pm

Hi Hunter

a topic very near and dear to me. My perspective comes from raising a drummer from the age of 6 and encouraging and enjoying his journey through music. [br][br]

I always encouraged my son to mix it up. Jam and play with as many people as possible looking for a fit. And he did. He played with all kinds of people, made up different bands with different sounds and through this process ended up meeting 3 other guys who had similar taste in music and knew what they wanted to play and most importantly, worked very well together. Coming up with ideas, bouncing them around, modifying them and finally coming up with material they wanted to play. Together they found a sound. No parent was involved. [br][br]

I think if you have the right people with you, things will begin to gel and ideas come together. I've seen my son in different bands and always knew he would sort out who was good to be with and who wasn't. I mean from a contributor / collaborative perspective. He figured it out and I am sure you will as well. When you get the right people the sound will work itself out. [br][br]

I wish you the absolute best in finding your sound.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 4
hunter.kane
hunter.kane
08/15/2020 8:41 pm
Originally Posted by: William MG

Hi Hunter

a topic very near and dear to me. My perspective comes from raising a drummer from the age of 6 and encouraging and enjoying his journey through music. [br][br]

I always encouraged my son to mix it up. Jam and play with as many people as possible looking for a fit. And he did. He played with all kinds of people, made up different bands with different sounds and through this process ended up meetin 3 other guys who had similar taste in music and knew what they wanted to play and most importantly, worked very well together. Coming up with ideas, bouncing them around, modifying them and finally coming up with material they wanted to play. Together they found a sound. No parent was involved. [br][br]

I think if you have the right people with you, things will begin to gel and ideas come together. I've seen my son in different bands and always knew he would sort out who was good to be with and who wasn't. I mean from a contributor / collaborative perspective. He figured it out and I am sure you will as well. When you get the right people the sound will work itself out. [br][br]

I wish you the absolute best in finding your sound.

Thank you for all your help.

# 5
l0lahola
l0lahola
12/11/2020 10:52 am

Think of all your favorite bands, try to highlight an exact thing that you like about each of them, and finish it up practicing those things with your band. In other words, this mixture would be the result of the features that you like, but it will result in your own style.

# 6
Herman10
Herman10
12/11/2020 12:31 pm

The longer you play, the more you will develop your own sound even without you realising that but other people will recognise you from your playing, all the other musicians in your band will to so the very Unic sound will come all by itself, don't worry about that.

As for the style you need to figure that out with your band members together.

Key for succes is however that you need someone at least that can write good lyrics and someone good at finding melodies for those lyrics and someone good at creating an arrangement and explaining that to the rest of the band and all off that is the difficult part.

# 7
hunter.kane
hunter.kane
04/05/2021 5:09 pm
Originally Posted by: janejenkins19844

Try out odd ball ideas, work at unexpected changes while you jam. Record everything a go back a decide what worked and what didn't as a group. You might be surprised how many great sounds of the past came from mistakes or glitches.

Wow, a lot has changed since I originally made this post, I quit the band a month after I made this post, I found a sound that I'm good at and I'm working on starting a new band, Thank you so much for the advice though.

# 8
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
01/29/2022 2:52 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter.kane
Originally Posted by: janejenkins19844

Try out odd ball ideas, work at unexpected changes while you jam. Record everything a go back a decide what worked and what didn't as a group. You might be surprised how many great sounds of the past came from mistakes or glitches.

Wow, a lot has changed since I originally made this post, I quit the band a month after I made this post, I found a sound that I'm good at and I'm working on starting a new band, Thank you so much for the advice though.

Going in and out of bands is a normal thing and part of your musical growth/journey. You and your pals will break, find new grooves, hook up again. Be good to each other and have fun. Never stop.

# 9
CassidyMclean1
CassidyMclean1
11/01/2022 4:57 am

Good luck with your band! 👍

# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.