Recording with drums ?

Niklasl
Niklasl
07/01/2003 11:15 am
Hello, Í usually record with cubase VST32 5.0 and it works fine except for the drums. See cubase only have midi drums so when I've recorded a song with drums and then converts it into wav or mp3 the drums disapear because you can't convert midi into wav, right ? SO what I'm looking for is an easy to use drum program that record the drums in wav format.And if I could find a program that's sharware it would be great cuz I ain't got any money right now. Do you have any suggestions ?

(Sorry bout the laungage)
...and that is funny
# 1
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
07/01/2003 2:41 pm
Two Recommendations. The first and I think the best is Fruityloops. You can import your midi drums into it and then splice them up into seperate tracks. Great program and I think there is a free demo that does pretty much what you would need it to. Second is a little known program called Hotstepper. Hotstepper is a shareware program that 16 tracks of wav sequencing, plenty for drums. The only thing you can't do is save your sequence as a wav file (you can save it as a work file :)), but you can easily just use your mixer on your soundcard to just record it when you play the sequence back. Great program.

The only thing you'll have to do with these programs is you'll have to go to a sample site on the internet and download each individual drum sound. Which I think is cool because you can put together your own drumset. :) Both come with sample already but most are teachno ones. I like the real sounds better.

Fruitloops should be easy to find, just type it in any search browser. Hotsteppers link I believe is http://www.hotstepper.de. Check out http://www.samples.net and http://www.melodramatic.com for samples.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 2
Niklasl
Niklasl
07/01/2003 10:23 pm
Thx man. I've tried fruity loops before, I thought it was a bit complicated or maybe I'm just stupid :-).
Well...I might as well give it another try.
...and that is funny
# 3
icecool
icecool
07/01/2003 10:30 pm
I've heard that "Battery" is very good.
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/02/2003 11:28 am
SONAR XL will convert Midi to wav and will mix midi with real audio. It is expensive but will do everything you want !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 5
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
07/02/2003 1:05 pm
Who wants midi-sounding drums on his record? get a few good AKAI samples or predefined loops - that will do the job - or get a drummer *L*

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 6
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
07/02/2003 4:36 pm
Here's a step by step guide to convert your midi drums into fruitloops and making them into real drums.

First- write out your drum part in standard midi on cubase so it goes along with your song. Once that is done save your midi drums to midi format on cubase.

Second- open up fruityloops. File->Import->Midi. Open up your midi drum track, I think channel ten is your drums. Check to make sure. This should open the entire drum track onto one midi track on fruityloops. Good so far.

Third- Open the midi track in piano roll. Go up to the top and click on the marquee box, it's probably on pencil now just click on the one that looks like a box. Once you got that. Go down to the piano roll and click on the piano key that is the lowest note. This should be the bass drum. once you click on the key all those boxes on that key should light up. Once they do push CTR-C to copy.

Next- Go to Channels->add one->Sampler. Once you open up a new track, left click on it to bring up the Channel settings. First look for the file box. Click on that then just import your sample (bass drum.wav). Then go to the little box that says -fx- below it, make that a 1. Then the next sample will be 2 and so on.

Once you have done that don't close that window just yet. Go back and right click on the channel you just added, piano roll. Then just hit CTR-V and it should paste the bass drum part.

Then mute the midi track, and hit play and listen to the bass drum track. It may sound alittle weird or maybe not. If it does go back to the channel settings and at the bottom it has "fit". Move that up until it sounds right.

Once you've done that just repeat until you have each midi drum moved to a sample track. Follow the guide I gave and that's it. Seems like alot at first but once you get the hang of it, it's really easy and doesn't take as much time as you might think. Any questions just ask.

[Edited by noticingthemistake on 07-02-2003 at 11:40 AM]
# 7
Niklasl
Niklasl
07/02/2003 10:12 pm
I tried it and it finally worked !
Thx alot man I really appreciate this !
...and that is funny
# 8
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
07/03/2003 4:06 pm
No problem man. Fruityloops is a kick a$$ program cause you can easily convert midi to synthetic wav. Not only drums but any synth, like strings and pads. You can easily apply a wide range of effects to fruityloops tracks too. The full functioning one is pretty cheap if I remember.

Yeah Simon I wouldn't use midi drums for recording. Midi sounds way too fake, unless you have one of those 1000 dollar sound modules or midi keyboards. Even then nothing replaces the real thing. hehe
# 9
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/03/2003 6:30 pm
I have a secret weapon, the good old DTEXPRESS II which also works as a midi controller, recording duration as well as velocity and I can record (and Uh humm quantize and edit ), as midi and then assign my favorite samples and hey presto convert it into a .wav file for mixing and mastering.

Or am I missing something ?

Later dudes
S

# 10
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
07/04/2003 5:14 pm
Sounds good. As long as the wav files aren't the midi sound converted. Midi is great for arranging and things along that line, but on a final recording. It sucks! (bluntly said) The realism just isn't there especially in the mix with other acoustic instruments. I even try to stay away from drum machines and drum machine samples. There midi too just a higher polyphony, they sound real but you can still tell it's a machine. I like the real thing better cause the mix blends better with all acoustic instrument rather than artifical and acoustic.
# 11
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
07/09/2003 8:13 am
Vienna Symphonic Library

Ok - if you think midi cannot create the impression of real peeps playing then eat this! the link above leads to the biggest and best sample library there is. go to "demos" and "Vienna demos" - all those files have been programmed with midi using those samples (in AKAI format i guess) - you bet you cannot tell the difference betwen this and real musicians.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 12
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/09/2003 12:45 pm
Evil laugh ....yum yum cheers dude !
# 13
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
07/09/2003 2:27 pm
Yeah Az that's pretty d@mn cool, but I aint paying no $3000 dollars for it. :rolleyes: That sh^t better sound real for 3000 dollars, cause I could get a real orchestra to play it for a fraction of that cost. Or I could just get a synth module and get all those sounds myself. Cool Site though.
# 14
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
07/09/2003 2:57 pm
those sounds ARE real - sampled by REAL peeps with REAL instruments - they are worth every cent - trust me. and you´ll get nothing like it in a synth module or anywhere - even the regular AKAI sample cdss like Miroslav Vitous or Piet Siedlacek are weak in comparison with those!

YOu might get an orchestra for that money - but only for ONE recording - those samples remain forever ;)

[Edited by Azrael on 07-09-2003 at 09:59 AM]

# 15
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
07/09/2003 3:18 pm
Ohh no doubt they sounded awesome. :D I might get the demo cd which is only 10 bux, but 3000 dollars for the complete orchestral set is a bit too much. Especially when you can get real instrument samples online for free, you just have to do alittle searching. Or what I might do is download the samples and then use cool edit to spice them up and just use those. Then I'll just use midi to write the sequence and just import it into fruityloops. Work the system! :)
# 16
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
07/09/2003 3:45 pm
well -you can always get soe akai cds and use some software sampler - thats less complicated *L*

# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.