Zoom GFX1

Gibson13601
Skinny Tops Heavy Bottoms
Gibson13601
09/03/2005 2:01 pm
Bought this online about a week ago and since then I have had some time to fiddle around with her a little bit....heres what I think...

(Zoom GFX1)

The Good= 1) Cheap! Around $100 just about everywhere I've looked.
2) Rugged! Hard steel casing & hard plastic Footswitches.
3) Simple! Very user friendly and easy to operate.
4) Compact! Small nonbulky, will fit in a purse (if thats your thing)
5) Versatile! Loads of effects for such a small cheap unit.
6) Fast! No delay (or pauses) when switching patches.
7) Cordless! Operates on 4 AA batteries if wanted.

The Bad= 1) Optional 9V AC adapter not included.
2) Some factory presets are a little cheesy.
3) Foot switches are a little close to each other (watch your step)

(Overall)
This is a great little unit and ya cant go wrong for the price! The sounds you can get out of this little board are amazing! I like the almost limitless tones you can achieve from it with a little tweaking and the chorus is thick and warm when set properly. Amp simulators are almost dead on...and I know the sounds of these amps cuz I have owned all but one and the one I have not owned I have played through one time or another. Amp sounds are as follows...PVY= The 5150 (which I own now)...BG= Mesa Boogie Duel Recto (The Amp Sim for this one could have been better)... MS= Marshall Stack (Sounds Decent)...US= Not sure about this one (Solid crunchy blues tone)...FDR= Fender Princeton or Power Chorus (Simulates the clean sound of the Fender tube amps). Effects included are...Chorus, Flanger, Phase, Doubling, Tremolo, Step, Cry, Ring Mod, Slow Attack, Pitch, Delay, Echo, EQ, Wah/Auto Wah, Comp/Limiter, Noise gate, Reverb and of course Distortion/Overdrives. (Optional expression pedal is available) This a fast little unit with almost zero latency when switching patches. I did not want a big bulky processor with a crapload of useless effects since I like to keep my sound kinda Raw. But this has enough sounds and such to keep me occupied if Im feeling a little Robotic. Very easy to use (Rookies will melt over it and Veterans will be impressed) Try it out!!! Great Bang for your Buck!!!
Im a small town White Boy just trying to makes ends meat!
# 1
PVTele
PVTele
09/06/2005 7:30 pm
I've had one of these almost three months now, and I'd go along with just about everything Gibson13601 says... I bought mine mainly to use in church direct to the board, and it works perfectly for that, the cabinet sims are warm and natural, and the amp tone, as Gibbo says, dead on... I just love the responsiveness to pick attack, just like a real tube amp.

I love the BG simulation myself, but I reckon the Recto is the 'Metal' model, and the BG something more like a MkIV. With the gain throttled back to 3 or 4 you get a wonderful purring blues tone that I don't think a Recto could manage. I've wondered about the US Blues too, I reckon it's a Fender, possibly a Blues Deluxe or someting like that. OD I'd put as a Matchless Chieftan, and 'Lead' a Soldano SLO100. I wish modelling processor manufacturers wouldn't be so coy naming their amp models, but I guess that's copyright!

Effects are great, subtle, versatile and controllable, never harsh or overly digital.

Mine doesn't get much rough usage, but I'd guess it wouldn't notice - the thing's built like a tank.

I'm guessing Gibson13601 has named himself after his #1 axe - but I can confirm this thing sings with Fenders too - I play a USA Strat and a Squier Standard Tele, and it sounds equally delicious with both!
# 2
Gibson13601
Gibson13601
09/07/2005 3:08 am
Thanks for the agreement bro...and yes The Gibby LP Standard is my wife!!!! Play an emotional lick for Lennon!!! And enjoy that nice touch the GFX1 pinches us with! :D
Im a small town White Boy just trying to makes ends meat!
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.