Epiphone les paul pickups

raypondant
raypondant
02/17/2019 2:45 pm

Hey guys,

I am wondering if any of you have changed the stock pickups to get a cleaner sound on their epiphone les paul, mine sound really muddy, espicially on tube amps.

I dont feel like investing on a new guitar and changing pickups seems to be a good alternative.

What is the results with some Seymour Duncan pickups ? is it really noticable ?

Thanks.

# 1
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
02/18/2019 8:48 pm

As no one else has answered your question I'll give it a go which I hope will be of some assistance. I left it initially as I haven't swapped out the pickups in my own Special Custom Les Paul clone -yet, although I have in others. e.g. Seymour Duncan TB-14 replaced the OEM G&B in my 311H Pacifica, and a WVTN/WVTB Korean Wilkinson lipstick & alnico pair in my Tele.

I also have a HSS Pacifica factory fitted with Seymour Duncans neck, mid and bridge plus numerous others including Manson spec winds in Classic TC for basis of comparison. In the cases I have modified the changes/differences were significant. The Trembucker replaced a tonally pleasant G&B which was a resistance (output) mismatch with the neck P90. Notably improved its power output, although the tone was arguably a superior match too. The Wilkinsons replaced OEM Affinity Tele cheapies, and the improvement across the board was remarkable.

All else being equal, the operator's fingers notwithstanding, pickup configs and types significantly determine what tones you can dial out of any electric guitar IMLE.

The ones in my LP are vintage PAF in tone, which to my mind sound 'muddier' than I'd like and also aren't as powerful as I'd like. Truth be told, that criticism is really a fault of my curiosity driven choice of an instrument as configured not delivering the cleaner or powerful tones I prefer for what I use it for now rather than the guitar's. I expect that may change later as I progress and experiment with genres, perhaps to Blues. From what I glean playing others' Epiphone Les Paul Standards in the USD$500~$600 online reseller real 'street price' range, their pickups sound similar to mine.

[br]Will swapping out those pickups in your Epi LP for the right choice of SDs/DMs make a difference? Definitely yes. Yes I know that's no 'cheapie' Epi axe, but those are replacement PUPs in his '75 Gibson LP Deluxe. The ultimate questions are always how much do you like your guitar, and if so, does it triage economically worthwhile?

Something to consider in your choice, albeit a reputable one Seymour Duncan is just a brand, like DiMarzio, Wilkinson or IronGear, the latter superb two alternatives for those of us resident outside continental US inclined to avoid silly single line import official local regional appointed distro pricing of SD & DM. Relative to your specific question, SD pickups, and DM for that matter, are very good IME, but they make pickups with a wide tonal and output variance even in Humbuckers, including different spacing SD refer to as Trembuckers.They are on the dearer side of pickups, but quite affordable nevertheless if you're in the USA.

If you're going to mod, take the time to ensure whatever replacements your choose suit what you want to play before you buy would be the salient advice I would offer. There should be plenty of threads with pertinent info over on the Seymour Duncan forums from those who have trodden this path with Epi LPs before you if you want to enquire there. Similarly in the unofficial Epiphone forums of which there surely must be one or more. IDK because I haven't frequented the latter. I'm definitely more of a Strat and Tele guy at this phase of my electric guitar adventures.

Trust there's something there which assists.

# 2
raypondant
raypondant
03/01/2019 7:37 pm

Thank you very much for your reply, I think i will research a bit more before I make the final choice and get the tone I am looking for.

Have a nice weekend

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.