String length for windings???

ChromeBeast
ChromeBeast
08/15/2004 6:57 pm
I can not believe I am going to ask this question since I have changed strings thousands of times, but here goes:

I am real careful to make sure I have the correct amount/number of windings are my tuning pegs, and I make sure no windings crossover another. This certainly helps the guitar stay in tune.

Now for the question, does anyone know a rule or tip to determine how much slack you start with to acheive the the results above? I don't know how I do it, I just kinda guess and it usually works out, but I was thinking that there must be something more scientific or practical to measure the how much string is needed to wind around the posts the best number.

I hope you understand my question, it's kinda out there.....lol

Shane
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/16/2004 3:20 am
Originally Posted by: ChromeBeast... but I was thinking that there must be something more scientific or practical to measure the how much string is needed to wind around the posts the best number...
[font=trebuchet ms]Well, more scientific may not be more practical! :)

If you divide the distance from the lower edge of the hole in the tuning peg post to bottom of the post by the diameter of the string, you will get an approximate value for the maximum number of turns. Of course, this gets invalidated by the reduction of the string diameter under tension, and more than 5 turns is likely to store slippage that will cause tuning problems.

Multiplying the tuning peg diameter by [/font][font=lucida handwriting]Pi[/font][font=trebuchet ms] (3,1416) will tell you how much string length to allow for each turn, but again, that result doesn't take into account the string stretching under tension. And if your tuning peg posts are 'scooped' (not straight-sided), you have different peg diameters at different heights!

My advice is to note how much string is on the peg when you remove an old set. Then use that as a guidline when you install the new set. Eventually, you will know exactly how much of each string to wind on.

... At least until you try out a different brand, or a different gauge![/font] :)
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/16/2004 11:57 am
For me...
two times round at the absolute max.

This is not scientifically but empirically determined over 20 years playing (admittedly badly most of the time however you still need to change your strings).

I use locking heads (i.e. PRS or Sperzils) these-days so I'm more of a half a turn lad !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 3
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
08/16/2004 12:33 pm
funny.. i never concerned myself with how many windings i use per peg/string. and i never had tunig problems. strange................

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 4
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
08/16/2004 1:03 pm
I knew I should have stayed awake in math class! Well their is a method you can experiment with, once you get the string thru the tuner peg, place a hand about mid-way on the fretboard so that your palm is facing the tuner, the string is now is running over the top (thumb&1st finger side) of your hand, this will give an approximate amount of slack to wind on, depending on the width of your hand and the thickness of the string you'll be able to get a rough estimate of how much slack you need, I usaully go about a hand width on the trebles and a little more as I move toward the 6th string and I get about 2-2 1/2 winds per string..................
# 5
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
08/16/2004 3:45 pm
I always like to wind the whole string !
I even did that for few years before I got a string winder , can you imagine how boring and painfull that is ? (I change strings once every 4-6 weeks , silly , yeah ?!)

Ah , forgot to say , I use Floyd Rose , so I never worry about staying in tune. :p
# 6
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/16/2004 7:11 pm
[font=trebuchet ms]Actually, with several wraps around the post, there is less tension at the sharp bend where the string goes through the peg. This helps to reduce the probability of breakage. Because I use fairly thick strings, I can only get 2 to 2 1/2 turns of the low E string on the peg, but I usually put on 5 turns of high E. I also lock the strings by trapping the loose end under the first wrap.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7
ChromeBeast
ChromeBeast
08/18/2004 1:00 am
I must have been in a real weird place when I posted this. I re-read it today. How silly to even wonder about it. I have never had a tuning issue or "wasted" a string. I suppose sometimes we focus too much on the tech stuff and not enough on playing.

Too funny......

Shane
# 8
steve.bellanger
steve.bellanger
05/13/2018 12:33 am

Old thread, but good concept to get 2 full windings... Pull string throug peg tightly, then use a guitar pick’s length to make a bend in the string past the peg. Pull string back until crease engages peg. Start winding.

# 9
gimmebestazy
gimmebestazy
07/15/2018 10:57 am

Hi,

I'm looking at a description of a string set online that says :

Length of string (ball end to start of taper) = 38"

[br]I want to know if they will fit my current bass so I went to measure the strings that are currently on my bass to find out what the minimum length of "ball end to start of taper" needs to be for these new strings to fit. It's a thru body bass.

[br]But where exactly on the string do you put your measuring tape when you want to measure "from the ball end"?I can't hear it in my suck headphones

Is it at the point at which the string meets the little metal ring?

OR

is at the very extreme end of the metal ring where there's no string left?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.