Where do leanr about making amps, and other electronics stuff...

educatedfilm
educatedfilm
09/20/2001 12:48 pm
When i first bought my guitar i didn't have an amp, and i got bored very quickly of leaning with out an amp, and a freind of mine lent me one of the amps he had made, which was a just a little 10watt thing with an 8inch cone. It was really quite but the crunch on it was fantastic, and although it was a transistor amp it kinda behaved like a valve amp... i thought this was really cool, and i'm quite intrested in learning to make my owns amps, and even effects boxes, but i dont really know how to go about it, my maths and physics are excellent, but my knowledge of anything electircal is nearly non-exsistant, so really i need to start from the absolute basics of electronics (like diagrams)... any ideas
# 1
Bardsley
Bardsley
09/20/2001 3:57 pm
Electronics stores will often have books on how to make things with beginner projects, I have seena how to make a wah article before. I'm sure that simply reading a couple of books will give you an idea as to wiring diagrams, but something that might be easier to lear from someone else would be how to solder, which is a fairly important skill, and you might not be able to get the hang of it from boos. Once you learn that sort of stuff, it might be a good idea to start on something smaller, like adding a new pickup to an older guitar, or just taking one off and putting it back on, for the practice before you get to mmaking amps.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 2
trendkillah
trendkillah
09/20/2001 8:01 pm
First off, study electronics. Get a book that covers all the basics, and then start on amp-building books.

Well, the kind of books you want to get depends on what you want to do really. If you want to start designing amps, you will need an extensive knowledge of electronics, and how to apply it on guitar amplification. If you want to build an amp from a pre-designed scheme or something, a basic knowledge of electronics, and decent soldering skills should be enough.

Before starting on amps, try building your own stomp-boxes though. They'll cost a lot less if/when you make a mistake and fry them. And, they are a lot safer to be experimenting with too.

Here's a very usefull site, just go through the links, lots of cool DIY stuff inthere => http://www.ax84.com

Greetz, TK
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/21/2001 3:41 am
When you've got your soldering skills ready, check this out.
http://www.torresengineering.com/maktubam.html

Best of luck!
L

P.S. They have a 1 1/2 Watt amp called the Tiny Tone!

[Edited by Lordathestrings on 09-20-2001 at 11:45 PM]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
09/21/2001 10:40 am
wow! thank you! i honestly didn't expect anyone to really reply... but it looks like i've got some good advice. thank you ;) !
Oh by the way the "tiny tone" is a nice idea, but if you've played with it or something close to it's size you'll understand what i mean when i say they sound like bees in jam jars... :).

Ane one built their own amp here? any sucsess?
It looks like i've just got to go and get me a liibrary card now...
ciao.
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/21/2001 1:35 pm
I'm gradually accumulating parts for a 5 Watt power amp of my own design that I call the Wee Beastie. I'll keep you guys posted as I go.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.