need help with trem bar...

paradoxima
paradoxima
09/22/2001 1:50 pm
I don't even know if I'm in the right section of the forums but hey...

MY problem is this: I have a Fender Strat style guitar with what i think is called a "floating" trem bar. I can bend the strings up and down with it. I seldom use it so I had a "guitar tech" tighten it up for me, but now the springs seems to ring out whenever I play. The sound of the springs gets amplified along with what I'm playing.

This sounded really cool for a few minutes, but it soon became very irritating.

Can anyone help by telling me how to stop my springs from ringing out?

Thanx a whole bunch in advance to anyone who can help
# 1
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
09/22/2001 9:41 pm
Put a cloth or some paper towels between the springs and the body of the guitar, that way they can't vibrate.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/23/2001 4:48 am
The springs are attached to a block of steel which is attached to the underside of the bridge. If you put something solid, like a block of wood, between this piece and the body of the guitar, this will keep the bridge from rocking. If you decide to leave the springs installed, you should pack something around them, as Raskolnikov suggests, to keep them from vibrating.

When I had a Strat, I removed the springs entirely. I machined a block of brass to snugly fill the hole under the bridge all the way through to the cavity where the springs were, replacing the steel piece. I haven't seen such a thing in any store, so you're looking at some custom work. It would be very expensive to have a machine shop make a one-of piece for you, but if you have a friend who works in such a shop, maybe you could work out a deal. The brass block eliminated any slop in the bridge, and greatly improved the sustain. Steel would work just as well: I used brass simply because I had some.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
paradoxima
paradoxima
10/02/2001 9:16 pm
Hey thanx a whole bunch 4 the replies

I took the springs out and cut a piece of wood and put it between the body of the guitar and the bridge and now I got no problems and it seems I've also got better sustain and my guitar stays in tune alot longer.

Thanx 4 the help

Cheers!!
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.