Amp Buzzing/humming

Rob_W
Full Access
Rob_W
Full Access
02/25/2018 6:54 pm

Hi,

I have been having problems with an intermittant hum and sometimes buzzing on my Line 6 Spider Classic 15, which was bought new, but is out of warrentee. So far, I have tried several different good quality cables, had my guitar serviced/set up, tried different electic outlets, and even took the amp to Guitar Center where they were unable to dublicate the buzzing. The noise is less noticible at times, but I have been unable to correlate it with any variables on my end. Guitar Center recommended going to a local amp guy, but that cost threee times more than the amp cost. Does this amp need to be retired at one year old, or am I missing something?

Thank you!

Rob

Rob

# 1
jarkko.eklund
Full Access
jarkko.eklund
Full Access
02/26/2018 5:11 am
Originally Posted by: Rob_W

Hi,

I have been having problems with an intermittant hum and sometimes buzzing on my Line 6 Spider Classic 15, which was bought new, but is out of warrentee. So far, I have tried several different good quality cables, had my guitar serviced/set up, tried different electic outlets, and even took the amp to Guitar Center where they were unable to dublicate the buzzing. The noise is less noticible at times, but I have been unable to correlate it with any variables on my end. Guitar Center recommended going to a local amp guy, but that cost threee times more than the amp cost. Does this amp need to be retired at one year old, or am I missing something?

Thank you!

Rob

As Guitar Center weren't able to duplicate the buzzing, the amp itself is propably fine. Try to eliminate the external causes still. Were they testing the amp with your guitar, or some other guitar? Have you tested with another guitar yourself? You have tried different electric outlets. but have you been trying in different rooms? There can be something which causes an electromagnetic field in the room you are playing.

# 2
thomas.mogensen
thomas.mogensen
02/26/2018 11:07 am

Hi Rob,

I might be a to obvious solution, but I had the same problem. For me the problem was, that my amp was not proberly grounded. A new plug and the humming was gone.

Regards

Thomas

Thomas

# 3
oldcatnewtricks
Full Access
oldcatnewtricks
Full Access
02/26/2018 3:04 pm

Guitar strings and pickups act as excellent antennas for interference to electronic devices. Often something within your house iteself can cause the interference you hear through your amp. Aquarium heaters, electric blankets, curling irons, LED lighting, there are any number of sources. One way to track it down is to listen for the hum/buzz and, one-by-one, have someone shut off circuit breakers within your house. If the hum/buzz goes away when one of the breakers is shut off then your interference sourse is on that circuit.

I am involved in the radiocommunication field and this is how we track down localized interference. It's worth a try.

Old Cat.

# 4
seay.james
Full Access
seay.james
Full Access
04/09/2018 1:27 am

+1 to OldCat

Most of buzz and hum come from the guitar. Especiall single coil guitars.

Does the buzz reduce when...

1. You touch your guitar strings?

2. There is no guitar (or cord) plugged into your amp?

These would indicated that the problem is before your amp.

The Line 6 gear is pretty solid so I suspect that it is either the guitar (most likely) or the power from the wall. Do the above to see if it's the guitar. The wall problems are harder to fix. Are there florescent lights in the room? Is there anything that dims lights? Or how about refridgerators or heaters. Also, you shouldn't be surprised if some of your outlets are grounded incorrectly.

# 5
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
04/09/2018 8:20 pm
Originally Posted by: Rob_Wtook the amp to Guitar Center where they were unable to dublicate the buzzing.

Which begs the question, A. do you only have a single electric guitar, and if so B. did you take it along to GC so they could test your specific complete rig config when they attempted to reproduce the fault?

I concur with other posters who infer that if GC couldn't replicate the fault otherwise, it's something specific to your config or location. Old or possibly faulty wiring dirty mains power, out of spec amp PSU, unwanted EMF from some other source, or perhaps just the PUPs/pots in your guitar?

Copied you've already tried different instrument cables. IME cheapies with questionable 'shielding', especially the moulded end ones supplied accompanying "in all in the box" starter packs, can be a cause of induced noise.

Also IME inexpensive pickups &/or pots in cheaper guitars can produce static noise when gain or volume are high which won't occur with good quality more expensive electronics. e.g. My cheapier TL-100 'Tele' clone's weaker default (probably ceramic) PUPs become are noticably statically noisy when the (guitar's) volume pot is rotated to high.My much more expensive Cort Classic TC's PUPs 'n pots and those in my Pacificas aren't.

# 6
mruniverce
mruniverce
02/05/2019 12:00 pm

I have a line 6 spider 150 I had a problem like that and believe it or not it was the USB cable plugged in my computer...running from my HD500x causing the sound.

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.