When to replace strings

Flecher Wulff
Full Access
Flecher Wulff
Full Access
04/24/2020 11:30 pm

I am wondering i want to avoid snaps with my strings. My strings on my electric (ibanez) is now about 1 month old. Ive been playing for 6-7 hours a day they still sound fine but i dont want them to snap when i am playing. When would you guys recommend i replace them.

# 1
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
04/24/2020 11:57 pm

Hmmm..

6-7 hours per day!?? o.O

You can precautionarily replace strings as frequently as you like, and can afford.

[br]Other than the cheapest rubbish strings or some other issue with (usually the saddle) of your guitar, you won't generally break strings unless you're doing a lot of bending, the strings get very worn, or your attack is gorillaesque.

That said, there's always a risk you can break a string. Even near new. One day you will. Usually E or B strings. Goes with the territory, especially electrics with their common lighter .9 & .10 gauges and often heavier picked Rock/Metal attack.

Buy a spare couple of sets which you should have with your kit in any case, and then play them until they break or wear out, whichever occurs first. You'll know when the latter happens as [u]the high strings will sound dead[/u] and will start to cause all sorts of tonal problems.

If your current strings are still holding tune, sound OK and aren't corroded to the touch, I'd just play them until they break or start to illustrate they worn out.

# 2
Flecher Wulff
Full Access
Flecher Wulff
Full Access
04/30/2020 11:45 pm

thanks for the advice i apretiate it. decided to replace i couldnt stand the lower gauge strings i had on since i put them on. i tend to try and keep atleast 2 spare sets but that might become a issue now in this lock down ive got one spare set left got to be carefull now dont know how long it will be before i can go to my local shop. so hope i dont snap these that are on becuase i love the gague they are in. yet again thanx for the advice.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.