B standard tuning on a 25.5 scale floyd rose jacks

Guitar Tricks Forum > Tech Talk > B standard tuning on a 25.5 scale floyd rose jacks

j4ked4vis

Hey guys! I know a lot of professional bands play in B-standard on 25.5 scale 6 string guitars (even some on 22" gibsons (Amon Amarth)) but I've had two pro setups now that have come back with results along the lines of "it simply isn't possible." In the most recent attempt my locking nut was shimmed up a super uncomfortable amount and though the intonation was correct all of the fretted notes on my low b string up to the 9th fret were coming up a half step sharp. This whole process has been truly discouraging. I just now ordered a nut shim set from stewmac and some saddle shims along with some fu tone super heavy duty springs. I tried to use d addario xl 12-60s in the last two attempts, so this final time I ordered the Ernie Ball Mammoth Slinky set which is 12-62 with a wound third.

I just wanted to reach out and see if anyone had any crucial knowledge they can pass down to me about getting my guitar perfectly set in b standard. The guitar is a Jackson Jeff Loomis Kelly with a 25.5 scale and a floyd rose 1500 bridge. Here's a picture of this badass guitar and how much the nut is shimmed up. Thanks for reading, hope to hear from you all soon.

Hey guys! I know a lot of professional bands play in B-standard on 25.5 scale 6 string guitars (even some on 22" gibsons (Amon Amarth)) but I've had two pro setups now that have come back with results along the lines of "it simply isn't possible." In the most recent attempt my locking nut was shimmed up a super uncomfortable amount and though the intonation was correct all of the fretted notes on my low b string up to the 9th fret were coming up a half step sharp. This whole process has been truly discouraging. I just now ordered a nut shim set from stewmac and some saddle shims along with some fu tone super heavy duty springs. I tried to use d addario xl 12-60s in the last two attempts, so this final time I ordered the Ernie Ball Mammoth Slinky set which is 12-62 with a wound third.

I just wanted to reach out and see if anyone had any crucial knowledge they can pass down to me about getting my guitar perfectly set in b standard. The guitar is a Jackson Jeff Loomis Kelly with a 25.5 scale and a floyd rose 1500 bridge. Here's a picture of this badass guitar and how much the nut is shimmed up. Thanks for reading, hope to hear from you all soon.

hsnoeckx

Full Access

The pictures I see from that sort of guitar are all 6 strings, B standard is normally only used on 7 string guitars.

There is no link to a picture you mention

The pictures I see from that sort of guitar are all 6 strings, B standard is normally only used on 7 string guitars.

There is no link to a picture you mention

Carl King

GuitarTricks Video Director

Hey j4ked4vis,

This is the only input I can give, and it might not be helpful. For years, before I had a 7 string, I would just buy 7 string sets (10-59), put them on my 6 string guitar, and discard the high E strings. It didn't really change much of anything on the bridge, etc.

I didn't have a Floyd Rose on it, just a crappy Fender style bridge. Not sure why you would be having such a problem with the angle of the floyd rose because all guitar strings at their typical pitch are meant to be about the same amount of tension / pressure. (15 - 20 pounds?)

http://web.daddario.com/StringTensionPro/SetBuilder

-Carl.

Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

Hey j4ked4vis,

This is the only input I can give, and it might not be helpful. For years, before I had a 7 string, I would just buy 7 string sets (10-59), put them on my 6 string guitar, and discard the high E strings. It didn't really change much of anything on the bridge, etc.

I didn't have a Floyd Rose on it, just a crappy Fender style bridge. Not sure why you would be having such a problem with the angle of the floyd rose because all guitar strings at their typical pitch are meant to be about the same amount of tension / pressure. (15 - 20 pounds?)

http://web.daddario.com/StringTensionPro/SetBuilder

-Carl.

Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer