C'mon guys...

ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/14/2000 6:05 am
This is pretty sad. No one's had a theory question in over a month. I'm ready to answer something...
"When you're a young, long-haired guitarist, no one takes you seriously." - John Petrucci

www.erikhagen.net
Web - Photo - Audio
# 1
Buzz
Buzz
06/14/2000 3:26 pm
Okay then.....

I've been playing for oh..... around 15 years. Totally self taught. I know I've picked up on some theory over the years and just don't know it. I'd like to learn more. Or at least learn in a more concise manner. Where should I start?
That which you can not cure,
you must endure!
———————————
Buzz
# 2
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/15/2000 6:20 pm
A good place to start would be to learn a little modal theory. I believe this is a fundamental thing for intermediate guitarists because it turns the fretboard into a map and once you get it down you can see how most everything fits together. Hopefully I will put up a section on this, but for now, just search under 'guitar modes' or something like that.
"When you're a young, long-haired guitarist, no one takes you seriously." - John Petrucci

www.erikhagen.net
Web - Photo - Audio
# 3
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
06/17/2000 11:01 pm
I find theory much easier to understand on the piano. The keys are color-coded so you can clearly see the relationships. When you change modes, you can see that the relationships between each note of the scale change. When you change key signatures, you can see how you have to use sharps and flats to get the relationship to stay the same as it is in C.

On the guitar, it's all just frets...

Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/18/2000 7:18 am
That's true. I played some piano before I started on the guitar but quit cause it was boring. My parents kind of made me play. But after finishing this first-year music theory class I just took, it's really easy to sit down and play the piano. Visually, it's easier to see everything. Almost any instrument is easy to play once you spend a few minutes re-orienting yourself to the different physical aspects of it. In fact, I've become interested in a lot of unusual ones like the ocarina, lute, harp, piccolo, or anything else in Celtic or medieval music. The relationship between the notes is the same on any instrument.

www.erikhagen.net
Web - Photo - Audio
# 5
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
06/18/2000 1:01 pm
Tis true, what you guys are saying. i played for three years and the theory was easier to learn on the piano before i let it go. it's easier to define every note looks the same way or in the same spot no matter where you play it but on the guitar you have the note in different positions on every string. the scales were easier to use and learn on piano. you can define sharps in just lokking for the black keys not on the guitar you just have frets and every one looks the same the only thing that is helpful on the guitar is the 12th fret dot or block which lets us now that we have went up a octave. some people say the dots help but what about classical guitar they don't have dots, and after you've been playing for quite some time you don't even have to look. but theory is way easier to understand on piano, i'm glad for that cause it has made it more easier for me to learn alot of other stuff.

------------------
Jake Sommers
"Take my hand boss"
# 6

06/18/2000 7:18 pm
ekstasis, I'm into celtic/medieval music too. I eventually want to get some of the instruments you mentioned (lute, piccolo, etc.), but for now I'm looking for music for the acoustic guitar that falls into that genre. Do you know any tab/instructional sites that deal in that style of music? Thanks...

------------------

# 7
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/18/2000 7:43 pm
Actually I'm just beginning to check this stuff out, but if I find anything good I'll let you know.

www.erikhagen.net
Web - Photo - Audio
# 8
Buzz
Buzz
06/19/2000 4:55 am
So errrrr..... what you all are suggesting is to get a keyboard?

Hmmmmmmm........ something to thinks about, though.
you must endure!
———————————
Buzz
# 9
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
06/19/2000 8:22 pm
I don't know that you need to GET a keyboard (tho I did). But when people talk about modes and scales, it is easier to think about them on a keyboard than to think about the fact that 6th string 8th fret is C and so is 5th string 3rd fret and so is 2nd string 1st fret and so is 3rd string 5th fret......
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 10
Buzz
Buzz
06/19/2000 11:58 pm
Oh well I'm pretty familiar with all of that. I've been playing for quite some time. I just don't know the theory that goes behind all that knowledge. I know the fretboard fairly well. I tend to get lost when players start talking about what kind of scale (minor or major) to play over a rhythm. That's the kind of thing that just confuses me to no end. I'm accustomed to just playing what feels right.
you must endure!
———————————
Buzz
# 11
peetri
peetri
07/11/2000 5:08 am
hey, just trying out smilies and making the folder start on fire!

pat

:Cool:

Pat
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.