Scale to practice for beginner

EddieG122
EddieG122
10/27/2018 1:01 am

Hi all, I'm new here. I am working through Beginner Fundamentals I. However I was hoping to start on practicing a scale that it is good to work through as a beginner. I was looking at books tonight and they over explain and dive way deep, when right now, I just want to know the notes and fretting so I can practice it and say the note names out loud. I figure I can learn the details when iactually get to that point, but at least I'm getting my fingers moving up and down the neck. Maybe if there is a simple PDF of one I can start with, that would be cool. Thanks!

Eddie

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/27/2018 3:31 am

Hey & welcome to GT! Glad you are working through GF1, that's definitely the best place to start if you are a beginner.

Originally Posted by: EddieG115

However I was hoping to start on practicing a scale that it is good to work through as a beginner.

Lisa introduces scales in Chapter 2 of GF2.

https://www.guitartricks.com/course.php?input=fundamentals2

I encourage you to keep working through GF1 if you are learning & it is providing you with enough of a challenge to build skills. If you are competent at the skills & concepts you are seeing in GF, then go ahead to GF2 & you'll soon be working through scales & notes on the fretboard!

Hope this helps. Please ask more if necessary & best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
10/27/2018 4:09 am

Eddie you'll get into the major scales initially with Lisa in Fundamentals 2.

Christopher and Anders have superb lessons as well on the major and minor scales, but having just restarted after a nearly 30 year hiatus, unless you're already adept with those fingers I'd suggest/recommend focusing on revising with Fundamentals 1 quickly before working your way through Fundamentals 2. That'll build the dexterity whilst fundamentals put the foundations in place readying you for the Rock, Blues, Country and respective scales for wherever you're intending to go. In the interim, to wet your appetite, you could have a bo peep here where Anders is explaining the relevance, illustrating the origin and demonstrating the minor pentatonic.

Encouraged by my roof solar panel & system installer cum Fender MIM Tele player, when he's not on the roof or installing inverters, who just happened to overhear me playing when I first started, I have been practising the five A minor pentatonic shapes over the neck since early days, but using it as a dexterity and knowledge developing understanding exercise at this juncture whilst I work my way throught the GT courses' progressive structure rather than improvising musically with it, yet.

I could race through the theory which is easy peasy, but without developing the hands on skill which takes time, I'll just end up the 'smartest' worst player. o.O Can't much see the point in that. Adhering to the sage advice of "know thyself", I've found that I like to parallel learn and develop tactile skills as well as understanding found in constantly revealed nuances by playing challenging -to me at this juncture, songs, as I find it fun. The sense of achievement excites and maintains the mojo effortlessly whereas playing scales for their own sake whilst inarguably a necessary part of the curriculum, can be pretty dry.

I'm fairly highly self motivated, but I reckon I'd struggle to want pick up the guitar every day just to play scales even though I could see their purpose and applicability in the future. Gotta' have some fun too.

# 3
Deus sive Natura
Full Access
Deus sive Natura
Full Access
01/14/2019 7:47 am
Originally Posted by: Brandon Esbach

Not sure if anyone else has tried this little handy device out, but I've found that it's helped me a lot with exercising my fingers while practicing scales:

https://reverb.com/item/11495014-finger-spider-on-string-finger-exerciser-large-mint

It looks like a gimic, but for me I've seen some results after using it a few days. As an added bonus, I found for me that it helped with my speed as well.

Hey, out of the subject but does this really work in any way? I want to improve my finger dexterity, especially the pinky but wanted to ask first since it is not a cheap thing :/

Thanks.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.