Bbmaj7

Mglambo
Full Access
Mglambo
Full Access
01/01/2019 10:08 pm

Been working on America by Paul Simon. The bridge calls for a Bbmaj7 which is new to me. The diagram calls for only the 4 middle strings to sound...A1, D3, G2 and B3.

I am not great on theory, and wondering why not Barre across the whole first fret, which would add 2 F's....there is already an F in there so it must fit as a "5" right? Also is the D note the "3"? Just wondering if someone can break down this chord for me as I'm trying to understand chord theory.

# 1
spijayogden
spijayogden
01/02/2019 12:31 am

Very good question. I'll take a shot at breaking this down for you. Generally...chords consist of a root, a 3rd and 5th. You have identified all of these correctly. For a Bb chord they are Bb, D and F respectively. The A is the seventh and therefore you have 4 tones to complete this chord. Theoretically you are correct that the 2 F's are part of the chord sequence, but I would avoid both of the F's on the 1st and 6th strings due to tonality. The lower F (6th string) is a lower tone than the root note (Bb) and therefore would change the dynamic of what you're trying to accomplish.......which is the Bb7 chord. The upper F (1st string) would create some dissonance since you already have 4 tones in the chord and the F on the 4th string fits with the other 3 tones (notes) the best. Good rule of thumb is try not to play more notes than you have to. Hope this helps!

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/02/2019 2:37 pm

Hey, there! I have a tutorial that covers how to play a variety of major 7th chords. There are a few options depending on where you place the root note. I also explain the voicings & what's possible.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=501

Originally Posted by: Mglambo

Been working on America by Paul Simon. The bridge calls for a Bbmaj7 which is new to me. The diagram calls for only the 4 middle strings to sound...A1, D3, G2 and B3.

Yes, you've got the right idea. And, you could barre across the 1st fret. But it might make the chord a little muddy sounding having the low F & high F. You've already got the F (5th of the chord) on the D string. And with a lot of 7th chords, it's best to try not to double too many notes to take away the focus from the delicate sound of the major 7th (A).

You can pretty clearly hear that Paul Simon's guitar is playing the Bb as the lowest note.

|-------|

|--3----|

|--2----|

|--3----|

|--1----|

|-------|

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
Mglambo
Full Access
Mglambo
Full Access
01/04/2019 3:51 am

Thanks Spijayogden and Christopher. Great answers to my question!

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/07/2019 2:46 pm

Thanks Spijayogden and Christopher. Great answers to my question!

You're welcome!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 5
arinfrolova1990
arinfrolova1990
03/29/2019 4:36 am

I'll take a shot at breaking this down for you. Generally...chords consist of a root, a 3rd and 5th. You have identified all of these correctly. For a Bb chord they are Bb, D and F respectively. The A is the seventh and therefore you have 4 tones to complete this chord. Theoretically you are correct that the 2 F's are part of the chord sequence, but I would avoid both of the F's on the 1st and 6th strings due to tonalit. vidmate

# 6
audreyspency
audreyspency
03/29/2019 6:16 am

Thanks Spijayogden and Christopher. Great answers to my question! Dafont 192.168.l.l FileHippo

# 7
samanthaskinner874
samanthaskinner874
08/26/2019 7:06 am
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Hey, there! I have a tutorial that covers how to play a variety of major 7th chords. There are a few options depending on where you place the root note. I also explain the voicings & what's possible.

Been working on America by Paul Simon. MyPrepaidBalance The bridge calls for a Bbmaj7 which is new to me. The diagram calls for only the 4 middle strings to sound...A1, D3, G2 and B3.

Yes, you've got the right idea. And, you could barre across the 1st fret. But it might make the chord a little muddy sounding having the low F & high F. You've already got the F (5th of the chord) on the D string. And with a lot of 7th chords, it's best to try not to double too many notes to take away the focus from the delicate sound of the major 7th (A).

You can pretty clearly hear that Paul Simon's guitar is playing the Bb as the lowest note.

|-------|

|--3----|

|--2----|

|--3----|

|--1----|

|-------|

Hope that helps!

This is really amazing. Great information about blog.

# 8
farronhslu
farronhslu
09/06/2019 10:20 am

Originally Posted by ChristopherSchlegel

[br]https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=https://domyessay.today

[br]Yes, you've got the right idea. And, you could barre across the 1st fret. But it might make the chord a little muddy sounding having the low F & high F. You've already got the F (5th of the chord) on the D string. And with a lot of 7th chords, it's best to try not to double too many notes to take away the focus from the delicate sound of the major 7th (A).

Hope that helps!

[br]

[p]

Thanks Christopher,

I've found a couple of videos, but I could not download any of those from FreeJazzlessons. So I checked your tutorials - just have some free time to learn major & minor 7th chords.

Ramon

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.