Mode question

Mglambo
Full Access
Mglambo
Full Access
03/03/2019 3:12 am

I was watching a Christopher S. lesson....he was discussing the minor pentatonic scale and I was right there with him. Then he mentioned adding back in 2 more notes to make it diatonic. Still with him. Then he said to add in those notes here or there to create a modal sound such as Dorian, Phrygian I think etc. Flatting or sharping certain notes to create the particular modal sound. I thought the modes were basically about scales just played from a different starting points, so I fell of the track there. Christopher or anyone?

# 1
jarkko.eklund
Full Access
jarkko.eklund
Full Access
03/03/2019 6:02 am

Have a look at the earlier post about modes. [br]https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/thread.php?p=312390

Modes can be used either in relative or parellel context.

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/03/2019 3:36 pm
Originally Posted by: MglamboI was watching a Christopher S. lesson....he was discussing the minor pentatonic scale and I was right there with him. Then he mentioned adding back in 2 more notes to make it diatonic.[/quote]

I'm assuming you are referring to this tutorial.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=296

[quote=Mglambo]Then he said to add in those notes here or there to create a modal sound such as Dorian, Phrygian I think etc. Flatting or sharping certain notes to create the particular modal sound. I thought the modes were basically about scales just played from a different starting points, so I fell of the track there. Christopher or anyone?

You are right! That is one way modes can be used. The point I'm trying to make in that pentatonic theory tutorial is that the pentatonic "boxes" or "frameworks" can used as a visual guide to play many different modes. However, that's a relatively specialized & advanced concept & not essential to learning & playing the basic pentatonic scale.

In general, there are 2 ways of looking at modes & you have to specify which one you mean.

1. Structural: each mode relates to a parent scale. So you are always in one major scale, G major for example, and the various modes are just ways of playing a G major scale, but starting on each note in turn. Often this is used to stay in one key, but play over the chord changes within the key.

2. Ornamental: You just play whichever mode you like the sound of at the time regardless of the key. This requires that you know & apply the scale or mode interval formula.

I have 2 tutorials on modes that cover both of these approaches in detail.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=370

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=770

Hope this helps! Please ask more if necessary. Have fun with modes!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
Mglambo
Full Access
Mglambo
Full Access
03/04/2019 4:32 am

Thanks Jarkko and Christopher. I studied Modes Across the Fretboard as well as first 6 of the 24 in the Practicing Major Scale Modes. I think I'm trying to go from 8th grade to college here as it is a bit above my musical knowledge, but small light bulbs are flashing. I've been trying to understand modes for a while now, and it's tough but these tutorials really helped further my understanding.

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/04/2019 12:21 pm

You're welcome!

Originally Posted by: Mglambo

I studied Modes Across the Fretboard as well as first 6 of the 24 in the Practicing Major Scale Modes.

[p]Good deal! I'm glad these tutorials are helping you make progress.

Understanding the modes, then how, when & why to use them is challenging. But it is a relative advanced concept. So take your time & be patient with yourself! Please ask more when you need to. Best of success with it!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 5
Mglambo
Full Access
Mglambo
Full Access
03/05/2019 2:15 am

Yes it's pretty tough. I continued on and played along to all 7 modes. This was really helpful. I just played the scales at my best pace and listened to hear how each mode has it's own sound. I also looked at how certain notes were added to the pentatonic scale to create that sound. I still don't get much of it but this definitely was a leap in learning modes. A little at a time.

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.