Key Signatures

Sleepers Hill
Sleepers Hill
04/11/2019 9:44 pm

Hey everyone!

Just a quick question about key signatures! [br][br]I am at the end of guitar fundamentals two and I am feeling pretty confident with key signatures etc and barre chords and the Magic L etc. [br][br]However, I am slighyl confused today I was playing a barre chord progression of A major C major and d major. If this is in the Key of A surely c major would sound off in this sequence but it doesnt it fits perfectly. Can anyone advise or am I taking the Magic L too seriously?[br][br]Kind Regards

Tim

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/12/2019 2:47 am
Originally Posted by: Sleepers Hill

I am at the end of guitar fundamentals two and I am feeling pretty confident with key signatures etc and barre chords and the Magic L etc.[/quote][p]Congrats on making it through GF 1 & 2!

[quote=Sleepers Hill]However, I am slighyl confused today I was playing a barre chord progression of A major C major and d major. If this is in the Key of A surely c major would sound off in this sequence but it doesnt it fits perfectly. Can anyone advise or am I taking the Magic L too seriously?

You discovered a modulation. :)[br][br]Not every note or chord of a piece of music (or song) has to be in one key signature. In fact this is where most music gets it's characteristic twist or spice: a note or chord that's not in the key signature! And if it sounds good, then you play it!

Lisa's magic L concept only covers I-IV-V chord progressions. And that's fine, because that where we all start. We have to learn the most basic chord progressions in order to get started. And the most basic progressions have notes & chords that are all in one scale or key signature.

But eventually, you learn that you can play notes or chords that are not in the key signature. And those are modulations. I cover the basics of chord progressions & how modulations work in this tutorial.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=495

I cover how a one chord modulation works in a key signature in this tutorial.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=843

I use the specific modulation of the flat III in a major key in this tutorial on improvisation.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2318

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Sleepers Hill
Sleepers Hill
04/18/2019 11:53 am

Hi Christopher![br][br]Thanks for getting back to me on this.

And thank you I am really pleased to have completed guitar fundamentals 1 and 2. I can't wait to continue with the lessons.

Ahh that is excellent! Thanks for explaining this in such detail.

it is greatly appreciated!

Thanks again

[br]Tim

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/19/2019 2:38 pm

You're welcome for the reply. Glad it helped!

Originally Posted by: Sleepers Hill

And thank you I am really pleased to have completed guitar fundamentals 1 and 2. I can't wait to continue with the lessons.

[p]Good deal! Best of success going forward.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.