Music Theory. how to search on guitar tricks

T3_Dallas
T3_Dallas
08/04/2020 10:41 pm

hey folks - i'm new on here and currently going through the Core Fundamentals. I see that there is some basic music theory spread around in the course. But is there a way to search for a Series thats specifically for Music theory on here? I tried doing a search for "Music Theory" and it returns way too many results.

Thanks

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/05/2020 11:36 am

Hey & welcome to GT!

Originally Posted by: T3_Dallas

i'm new on here and currently going through the Core Fundamentals.[/quote][p]That's the best place to start for beginners!

[quote=T3_Dallas]

I see that there is some basic music theory spread around in the course. But is there a way to search for a Series thats specifically for Music theory on here? I tried doing a search for "Music Theory" and it returns way too many results.

[p]If you follow one of the courses (Fundamentals or Style Courses), you will get the appropriate amount of theory along with the application all integrated together. It's important to keep your theoretical learning & knowledge on par with & at the same level as your physical skills & practical applications.

If one outpaces the other, then you have an unbalanced situation. Either you can play things that you don't fully understand or know how to use, or how they work. Or you know concepts that you can't apply & have no practical use for.

Having said that, I have a collection of tutorials aimed at covering music theory in great depth & detail. But, they depend a great deal on skill level, desired style & goals. But the important point now is that they are beyond the scope of the beginner cirriculum.

https://www.guitartricks.com/collection/music-theory

The point here is that music theory is a big topic! :) So, it's best to know your skill level & area of focus, or goals in order to point you in the right direction.

Almost every tutorial contains some theory, at least enough to understand & explain how & why the lesson content is being taught. And the courses are a great way to accomplish that.

For now, be assured that as a beginner the best path is through the fundamentals courses & learning songs! Hope that helps. Please ask more if necessary & best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
eabailey
eabailey
08/09/2020 10:56 pm

Many thanks to T3_Dallas for asking this question! I have also recently taken an interest in learning some music theory (I need the basics!).

@ChristopherSchelgel - as things have turned out, you've been my "tangent" instructor as of late! I really enjoy your videos and learning from you. I've only been with GT for a short while, and have gotten through the Fundamentals courses, and am currently going through the Rock 1 course. However, just to keep things fresh and interesting, I poke around with other things outside of the course, so not to feel like everything is too linear.

So happy that you've got a series of theory videos! I've also looked into your CAGED videos (still going through them slowly) which are excellent.

Little finds like this are what make the musical journey and learning so much fun! Rock on!

-Eric

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/10/2020 11:33 am
Originally Posted by: eabailey

@ChristopherSchelgel - as things have turned out, you've been my "tangent" instructor as of late! I really enjoy your videos and learning from you.

[p]Good deal. Glad you are enjoying GT & my lessons. Thanks for the positive feedback!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 4
bsterling9
Full Access
bsterling9
Full Access
09/02/2020 11:22 pm
Originally Posted by: T3_Dallas

hey folks - i'm new on here and currently going through the Core Fundamentals. I see that there is some basic music theory spread around in the course. But is there a way to search for a Series thats specifically for Music theory on here? I tried doing a search for "Music Theory" and it returns way too many results.

Thanks

This is the question I was going to ask as well. I know how to play some songs, but I have no idea of the theory behind it. When I watch a lesson and they mention it is in the C Dorian mode, I have no idea what that means. It's time to learn the right way!

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/03/2020 1:31 pm
Originally Posted by: bsterling9This is the question I was going to ask as well. I know how to play some songs, but I have no idea of the theory behind it. When I watch a lesson and they mention it is in the C Dorian mode, I have no idea what that means. It's time to learn the right way!

What is your skill level? Have you worked through any of the style courses? I encourage you to pick on & work through level 1 & 2.

If you follow one of the courses (Fundamentals or Style Courses), you will get the appropriate amount of theory along with the application all integrated together. It's important to keep your theoretical learning & knowledge on par with & at the same level as your physical skills & practical applications.

Having said that, I have a collection of tutorials aimed at covering music theory in great depth & detail. But, they depend a great deal on skill level, desired style & goals. But the important point now is that they are beyond the scope of the beginner cirriculum.

Also, I cover the modes in these tutorials.

Modes of the Major Scale

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=370

Practicing Modes

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=770

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 6
bsterling9
Full Access
bsterling9
Full Access
09/03/2020 3:01 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel
Originally Posted by: bsterling9This is the question I was going to ask as well. I know how to play some songs, but I have no idea of the theory behind it. When I watch a lesson and they mention it is in the C Dorian mode, I have no idea what that means. It's time to learn the right way!

What is your skill level? Have you worked through any of the style courses? I encourage you to pick on & work through level 1 & 2.

If you follow one of the courses (Fundamentals or Style Courses), you will get the appropriate amount of theory along with the application all integrated together. It's important to keep your theoretical learning & knowledge on par with & at the same level as your physical skills & practical applications.

Also, I cover the modes in these tutorials.

Modes of the Major Scale

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=370

Practicing Modes

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=770

Hope that helps!

Thanks Christopher! I have been playing for 14 years and basically started out by just learing to play songs. I have been a member of GT for 10 years now and love the lessons, however, I really want to dig deeper into music theory and my goal is to fully understand the keyboard and not be afraid to solo once in a while. I also would like to improvise and have the confidence to pick up a guitar in front of strangers and play lights out. So, if I start the Rock Course level 1, that will have the theory embedded into the curriculum? Based on what I have told you, would you suggest starting elsewhere, a different course? Thanks!

# 7
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/04/2020 2:55 pm
Originally Posted by: bsterling9

Thanks Christopher! I have been playing for 14 years and basically started out by just learing to play songs. I really want to dig deeper into music theory and my goal is to fully understand the keyboard and not be afraid to solo once in a while.[/quote][p]If you already have the skills, but lack the understanding, then have a look at this collection of tutorials. It will likely help fill holes in your knowledge by explaining why the things you play work.

Originally Posted by: bsterling9I also would like to improvise and have the confidence to pick up a guitar in front of strangers and play lights out.

This collection of tutorials is aimed right at improvisation. But it requires that you have some skills & a little theory understanding. I explain the basics in the context of the tutorials, but it will help if you already understand basic scale & chord concepts.

https://www.guitartricks.com/collection/learning-to-improvise

This collection of tutorials is aimed at building a vocabulary of licks to use in improvising.

https://www.guitartricks.com/collection/Bread-and-Butter-Butter-Blues-Licks

[quote=bsterling9]So, if I start the Rock Course level 1, that will have the theory embedded into the curriculum? Based on what I have told you, would you suggest starting elsewhere, a different course?

Yes, it has theory integrated into it. My collections just go deeper into those topics, but assume you already have the skills to play the ideas.

So, that's why I asked about your skill level. What techniques you can do? Strumming in time? Playing power chords? Playing single not lead lines? Playing licks in time? Playing whole solos? What can't you do yet that you want to learn? what songs or song parts you can play, what songs you can't yet play, what you currently struggle with, etc.

Depending on your skill level the Rock course might be a great fit. Or if you already have the skills taught in it, you might be better off just jumping into my collections. The best thing to do is start on Rock level 1 & see how it goes! If it's too easy, keep watching until it gets to the limit of your currently ability then dig in.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.