Parlour Guitars

oldcatnewtricks
Full Access
oldcatnewtricks
Full Access
02/12/2019 5:54 pm

Hi folks,

I'm just curious as to whether any of you play a parlour-size guitar and how you like it? The reason I ask is that I'm a lazy old fellow and often like to lounge on the couch and pluck at the guitar here and there. Also, I'm a true beginner. I find that trying to settle in with a dreadnaught is a bit cumbersome. I could go with the electric I suppose but I'm just wondering if a parlour guitar may be the trick? I have also had a look at the Baby Taylor (BT-1) as well, but wonder if a parlour guitar might have a bit more character (and nicer sound?) and still fit the bill.

I'm currently looking at an Art and Lutherie Roadhouse which seems to be a nice value for under $500 CDN.

I would appreciate any views on this.

Thanks,

Barry

# 1
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
02/13/2019 1:27 am

I'd say go for it. Follow your instinct and at least look at or try if you can, Concert and Parlor sized guitars. They won't have the projection or bass of a Dreadnought, but do you really want or need that in the living room? They also don't come with the burdensome body size encumbrance of a Dreadnought. That said, I should at this stage confess to the personal bias disclaimer, I really detest Dreadnoughts.

Personally I use Concert sized acoustics and e-acoustics, I have three, and find them perfect for my purposes. Gobs of natural acoustic projection for any larger room in the average home e.g. 4.5M x4.5M (15ft x 15ft) or small cafe environment, and amplification of any tonal range desired be it passive or pre-amped otherwise.

Smaller bodied pure acoustic guitars are characteristically brighter IME with less base prominence, and depending upon the woods used, frequently warmer tonally which I really prefer as a desired natural tone. My Cort AF for instance with its open pore all (Asian) Mahogany body is notably warmer tonally than my Nato bodied Yamaha APX, although the brightness of the Yamaha has its own appeal, the three offering me a selection of diverse natural tonal characteristics.

# 2
OnTwoWheels
Full Access
OnTwoWheels
Full Access
03/06/2019 4:18 pm

I play a 2018 Gibson Parlor Rosewood AG. Love it!

# 3
oldcatnewtricks
Full Access
oldcatnewtricks
Full Access
03/08/2019 2:59 am

I ended up springing for an Art and Lutherie Roadhouse.

http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/roadhouse-qdiscrete

Love it. Just so easy to pick up and play. While lounging on the couch I can just grab it and start practicing changing chords and strumming while watching TV. Not the best practice regimen but any time in the saddle is beneficial.

Great sounding guitar, good action, and perfect size for a tight spot. No buyer's remorse here!

# 4
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
03/08/2019 6:51 am

Nice. Good decision. Pleased for you as you're sure to remain very happy with it for a long time.

# 5
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
03/08/2019 4:26 pm

Congratulations on the new guitar!

2021 Iris CH

2021 G&L ASAT Classic Tribute

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.