Useful tool or gimmick?

dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
02/28/2019 4:29 am

I am a beginner and often want to do something practice-y when it would be inconvenient, rude or impractical to retrieve my guitar. I have considered purchasing these two items - a finger exercisor and a faux fretboard practice neck. I'm all in if they would be useful but I'm not sure if my fingers really need strengthening (I can even imagine it being counterproductive if strength comes at the expense of precision) or if the absence of sonic feedback from the fretboard would just encourage poor form. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks as always.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/28/2019 5:19 pm
Originally Posted by: dlwalkeI am a beginner and often want to do something practice-y when it would be inconvenient, rude or impractical to retrieve my guitar.

Over the years, I've seen lots of products and methods aimed at improving finger dexterity and strength (etc.) for guitarists. I've seen lots of people try lots of these devices, methods, etc.

By far, the best thing to do in order to improve your skill at playing the guitar is to simply play the guitar. Finger exercises, squeezing tennis balls, those springloaded contraptions will never substitute for hours of actual playing time.

As a beginner using non-musical devices, you could benefit from some basic strength building and basic coordination and dexterity. But at a certain point you aren't actually training your hands and fingers to play guitar, but instead to squeeze a hand exerciser. And worse, you could wind up doing damage. The manual strength & dexterity used in playing guitar is frequently much more delicate & nuanced than the motions required to use one of those strength building devices.

Obviously it's not always possible to play, so I sympathize with that situation. If one of those devices helps keep you motivated & working on guitar when you can't actually play, then go for it! Just be careful not to damage your hands with that hand squeezer! :))[br][br]And remember, in the end there is no substitute for effective, productive hours logged on your guitar.

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
02/28/2019 9:36 pm

Thanks Chris. I really appreciate your taking the time to compose such reliably informative responses to my forum posts. They're always quite helpful.

-Dave

Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel
Originally Posted by: dlwalkeI am a beginner and often want to do something practice-y when it would be inconvenient, rude or impractical to retrieve my guitar.

Over the years, I've seen lots of products and methods aimed at improving finger dexterity and strength (etc.) for guitarists. I've seen lots of people try lots of these devices, methods, etc.

By far, the best thing to do in order to improve your skill at playing the guitar is to simply play the guitar. Finger exercises, squeezing tennis balls, those springloaded contraptions will never substitute for hours of actual playing time.

As a beginner using non-musical devices, you could benefit from some basic strength building and basic coordination and dexterity. But at a certain point you aren't actually training your hands and fingers to play guitar, but instead to squeeze a hand exerciser. And worse, you could wind up doing damage. The manual strength & dexterity used in playing guitar is frequently much more delicate & nuanced than the motions required to use one of those strength building devices.

Obviously it's not always possible to play, so I sympathize with that situation. If one of those devices helps keep you motivated & working on guitar when you can't actually play, then go for it! Just be careful not to damage your hands with that hand squeezer! :))[br][br]And remember, in the end there is no substitute for effective, productive hours logged on your guitar.

Hope this helps!

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.