Anyone own or played a Brian May Guitar

dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
03/03/2019 11:08 pm

Kind of thinking ahead but late 2019 or so I'll probably be getting an electric (I'm currently learning on an electric-acoustic). I've always loved Brian May's unique sound. I've been watching youtube videos and reading articles on his sound and thinking about how to get it. Although I've been thinking I'd probably get a strat or strat-type guitar, I guess a good starting place to emulate his sound would be with one of his guitars which isn't any more expensive than a strat (midway between Player and Performer series). Anyhoo, if anyone reading this has had any experience with one of the guitars from his company, I'd love to get some info about them.

1) is it comfortable to hold and is it comfortable to play?

2) are the pickups noisy (hum) at all?

3) Can you get a nice clean sound? I can't think of ever hearing his guitar on recordings or his companies guitars on youtube doing something that doesn't have a little sizzle or growl to it, even when it's not really a rocker track.

4) May be hard to answer without doing the experiment but I'm curious if you have any sense or intuition as to how much of the sound is due to the pickups vs the guitar body. I wonder what would sound more faithful to the Red Special - a strat with trisonics wired in series or a BMG guitar with stock strat pickups in parallel.

5) Also, not exactly about his guitar but I'm wondering with modeling amp technology, is it still important to get a treble boost unit to come close to his sound.

Thanks, Dave

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
03/04/2019 2:05 am

I don't own one, but now you've made me aware of them, I'd like to try one. =]

This one in the particular. Mmmm...

Brian May is a musician and person I respect and admire in particular. Is there anyone rational who doesn't?

They're very reasonably priced given that Brian May is attaching his reputation to them implying imput in the the design and complete control over the spec.

Do take into account his particular ectomorphic build though, all 188cm (6'2") of it, and what that might mean in any guitar which suits him perfectly versus your own build idosyncrisies. I do like that it is short scale but full 24 fret though, although a real combo of oddities in the old roundy 250mm fingerboard radius (constant it appears?) and massive 45mm nut! Because the Mahogany body is chambered, they're as light as ...at just 3.2KG!! Always nice.

If you have a passion for one, and it fits your body and budget, go with it I say. Nothing matches passion to inspire and sustain motivation. I bought my Classic TC (third electric acquisition) on passion and spec, and love it to this day as my favourite guitar. It also fits me like it was custom made just for me.

Interestingly, just to throw a spanner into the works, I was only yesterday discussing with my wife which guitar of my 7 electrics I would keep "if I could only have one"...eek! It was tight run race to an eventual decision between two. Rationale won the day over passion. Although the Classic TC is my favourite, the one I would keep is my 612VII Pacifica with its custom hardware fitout. Why?

Versatility. Just nothing beats a HSS config. Strat. style axe for overall versatility and in the Pacifica's case as applies to me, comfort.

[br]Just sharing some thoughts on my journey which might assist you in decisions on yours. Ultimately, the fun has to be there. It is the singular most important aspect to maintaining the persistence required on this learning journey IMO. Works for me. Cheers!

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.