How to approach buying a first amp? Need guidance.

dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
04/19/2019 2:51 pm

Hi. I'm thinking about my first amp purchase and how to go about it in a rational way. All I know for sure is that I don’t need a big amp (just needs to be loud enough that I am not distracted by the sound of the unamplified strings), and I’m pretty sure that I want headphones out and aux in. So I’m currently thinking along the lines of a MicroCube, Blackstar Fly 3, Yamaha THR, maybe a Katana 50 (used on the lower wattage settings), Fender Champ or Mustang. But how do I narrow it down from there?[br] [br]The most obvious answer would be how does it sound, but with all the different tones available from modeling amps, should tone even be a consideration? This is the heart of my question. The promotional hype for most of these amps would leave you to believe that any one of them can re-create any tone on the planet. User reviews haven’t been terribly helpful as they seem pretty inconsistent. One reviewer highly recommends X over Y so I’m thinking I’ll eliminate Y, but then another persons says just the opposite. I will play some of these in the store in the hopes that I will really like one or more, and others not as much, but I worry that each of these modeling amps has so much to fiddle with to dial in different sounds that it would take me longer than is feasible to even find the tone I like to compare it with another amp. I’m imagining that I would need at least a day or two with each to really get a sense of what it offers and how to discover the best settings for my particular taste.

Or is it easier than I am making it out to be? With modeling amps that seem to offer such a broad range of sounds, is tone still a distinguishing factor between amps or are things like build quality, features, and price more important?[br] [br]Oh, and I want to also compare with a small tube amp to see if I have a preference there (solid state vs tube) although I am doubtful that a tube amp is right for me at this point. Conceivably though, that could send me in a very different direction and eliminate a bunch of the current contenders.

Thanks

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
04/19/2019 5:06 pm

Hi there,

the easiest way to find an amp is to go to your local shop, or whichever music store is closest to you, and try out a bunch of amps if that's possible.

If you want a small amp, I think the Katana series is a pretty solid bet. They sound fairly good, have all the extras you're looking for.

Reviews online are always going to be a little off since the happy customers will give rave reviews, while the unhappy customers will usually give a product the lowest possible rating.

Modeling amps/solid state amps are only getting better and better with advancements in technology. Tube amps, however, will always have a warmer, more "vintage" sound due to the way they get power from the vacuum tubes, etc.

Anyway, best bet is to simply try them out if that's possible. If you don't want to think about it anymore, get the Katana!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
brother_hesekiel
brother_hesekiel
04/22/2019 3:40 pm

Given your requirements, I'd offer 3 options.

1) You want a no thrills quality amp. Buy an Orange Crush 20

2) You want some effects in your quality amp. Buy a Fender Champion 20 ("Best in many reviews")

3) You want it all, plus portability. Buy a Yamaha THR 5 or THR 10

# 3
manXcat
manXcat
04/22/2019 9:05 pm
Originally Posted by: dlwalke

Hi. I'm thinking about my first amp purchase

[p][br]If you're like most of us starting out with that first amp you'll really have no practical idea of what you will really want use, nor the tone you're after, and won't be able to really discern between them meaningfully. Most important thing to consider IMV once you've identified the desire for a first amp is just do without too much vacillation.

That is to say don't get all bent out of shape aching over buying the amp which will last you a lifetime, the 'best' amp, the 'perfect' amp, or get into a knot over the purists pushing tube thing which in 2019 is a hypothetical nonsense for the overwhelming majority of us playing at home, especially if you have presbyacusis affected older ears. The very likely reality is that given how cheap amps are today, it won't be your only or last amp if you stick with guitar. So that said;

Amp budget. Do you have one? What are you wanting to spend. What is your max spend?

[br]What guitar/s do you have/intend using the amp with most of the time? Acoustic, electric and if the latter pup config, Strat, Tele, SG/LP, ES, other

What is you preferred style or intended future interest genre direction if any? i.e. will you be playing clean or dirty most of the time?

[u]In general[/u]. Anything digital modelling around 40 wattish (including the 50W Katana and others in that class category) is the most versatile for home use. They can all be turned down, and all in that 20-40W class intended for home have a headset jack and aux in port these days. I have several amps now, but if I had to have only a one size fits all amp for home use as my first amp, and was playing both electric and acoustic, that's what I'd go with again in 20:20 lots of hands on hindsight.

Boss' Katana is a no brainer. Can't go wrong with it if you want to put out the money for it. And it's sold at a 'silly not to' price in the US. I don't own one by the way, so no misplaced owner pride here.

The mini amps like Blackstar's Fly 3 are really ancillary items IMV. I own one and wouldn't be without it. Nice to have as a second amp for the flexibility and portability they offer, but you will want something to let rip with and fill the room with energy at some time or the other if not now. 40W at full noise can do that nicely, especially if decoupled from the floor/carpet by placing it on a speaker stand.

All of the 40W modelling amps Katana, Core, Mustang, Code, et al do a decent job. Not knocking Yamaha's THR out of that lineup either. Definitely a contender for home use. It's a very tasty piece of kit that ticks lots of boxes. I'm a huge Yamaha music kit fan.

Just pick your brand prejudice within budget. It's then merely a matter of learning how to drive them, but they will have individual characteristics and indiosyncrasies. e.g. Blackstar's x2 stereo 6.5" speakers in their 40W ID:Core vs Fender's Champion 40 with its single 12" speaker and simpler interface without downloadable patch capability, a feature to be honest I seldom use in my amps which do support it. I really like the tones of Fender's Champion 40, and would probably buy one if I didn't already own the Champion 100. I own/use an ID Core 40 to fit my 40W need/use. It was my first amp. I use it with my acoustics frequently too, mainly out of 'it's there, switched on ready to go and plug into now' laziness. I really like the Katana 50, but wouldn't blow the dough on one with an ID Core already in my kitbag. It's good enough, versatile enough for my need. And I do hammer it. So you can't really go wrong no matter what you buy with in that strongly contested genre. And we haven't even mentioned offerings from Peavey, Laney, Vox et al. First amp. Summing it up. Spend what you won't regret if you change your mind ....or just play it safe and buy a Katana which comes with bonus of kudos and peer approval in general.

At the time of my choosing, I was tossing up between the Yamaha THR, ID:Core and Katana. You know the outcome. Fender are stupidly priced in my country (distro), and not having then heard or played with a Champion 40, didn't have it on my shopping list. I would if I were repeating that exercise now, and I'm not a Fender fanboy as such. Love my Champion 100.

From someone who has trodden the path where you are now over the fairly recent past. Hope that gives you some idea and helps rather than confuses. Cheers.

# 4
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
04/23/2019 9:59 pm

I'm just chiming in because I love the topic and love gear. So much to choose from, so much fun! Good luck!

Edit:

I had to come back to this because of something manXcat said: "but you will want something to let rip with and fill the room with energy at some time or the other if not now."

I'm sandbagging a bit. I've been buying and selling gear for the past 13 years in support of my son's musical hobbies. And while I mostly use a little Roland Cube to practice, it feels awefully good to sit in front of a big old 4x12 cab being pushed with a 100watt head while I practice my Highway to Hell! It invigorates the soul! But my wife just came downstairs and it's time to stop.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.