iRig HD2 while playing lessons

jhsidoc
jhsidoc
06/30/2020 4:53 pm

Just bought the iRig HD2 to play my electric through instead of an amp so the fam won't throw me out. Wondering 2 things:

1. I use it with Amplitube 4 on an iPad and also use GuitarTricks on the ipad. Anyone know of a way I can play with the device while also viewing the GuitarTricks lesson?

2. Any way to listen through Bluetooth speakers instead of wired?

Thanks, Jan

# 1
usa4cc
usa4cc
07/23/2020 2:53 am
Originally Posted by: jhsidoc

Just bought the iRig HD2 to play my electric through instead of an amp so the fam won't throw me out. Wondering 2 things:

1. I use it with Amplitube 4 on an iPad and also use GuitarTricks on the ipad. Anyone know of a way I can play with the device while also viewing the GuitarTricks lesson?

2. Any way to listen through Bluetooth speakers instead of wired?

Thanks, Jan

Hi Jan. Welcome to Guitar Tricks!

1) I have the IRig HD 2 as well, and for a while used it with my iPad.

What I recommend is using Apple's Garageband. If it is not already installed, you can download it from the App Store for free.

Once you download it, click the little ... button on the right of the screen, Advanced, and then Run in Background.

See the way an iPad and all tablets/phones work is by having only one app mainly being used at a time. Whereas with a Macbook or Windows laptop, multiple apps can be running simultaneously. Selecting this option is an exception, and in fact you will get a warning that it could slow down the performance of your iPad.

To begin listening, be sure that monitoring is enabled.

2) Yes! It's slightly complicated, but usually not that bad.

Again, iOS works differently here, too--if the lightning jack is being used for the microphone AND has speaker connectivity (which the iRig HD 2 has), then the only option is to have audio come out through the device, not through the built-in speakers.

However, there is a workaround if you are using Bluetooth headphones. After pairing the headphones with your iPad, open up GarageBand (or Amplitube 4, this applies to whichever audio app you are using). AFTER you have connected the iRig AND the iPad recognizes it, you will notice that the little bluetooth battery icon on the top disappears. Okay, now drag down from the top-right, and you'll see a little widget with a play button and some back/forward buttons. On the very top right, click that little button. Then select the headphones. AFTER DOING THIS, you must turn on monitoring again. Open Garageband, click the recorder, and toggle the monitor button.

It sounds complicated, but after a few times it gets really simple. The only complicated thing is that occasionally it gets stuck when switching the output to bluetooth.

Have fun! Definitely works well. That's exactly what I did way back in March and I'm now a solid beginner, over half-way through Guitar Fundamentals 2.

God bless!

# 2
vishnu.agnihotriasdf
vishnu.agnihotriasdf
07/26/2021 8:13 am

This sounds like a great hack! I am getting an iRig HD2 soon and will try this out. I have also heard that Amplitube has a bacground audio option that can support this requirement- have you tried this?

# 3
c.hendon
Full Access
c.hendon
Full Access
08/04/2022 5:20 pm

Are there interactive lessons that use my iRigHD2 and where are they?

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.