Home recording help

GibsonLPSG
GibsonLPSG
07/15/2020 3:05 pm

Hello! Been looking to get in to some recording at home - nothing serious yet, just being able to record and listen, maybe be able to record a couple of tracks on top of each other. I've been looking around a little bit at what is out there but figured I would also check in here.

I'm looking for something to hook up to a computer. I have a newer Dell laptop, and an older MacBook with GarageBand. Currently I'm using a first-gen Apogee Jam into GarageBand, and it's ok. There's the smallest bit of delay between when I play and GarageBand registers the sound, but it's enough to throw me off if I try to record more than one track, for instance a backing track and then trying to jam over it. I'm hoping it's just outdated equipment.

So I'm looking for a go-between for the guitar and computer, and if there is any software out there besides GarageBand that does the same sort of thing.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

# 1
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
07/15/2020 7:01 pm
Originally Posted by: GibsonLPSG

Hello! Been looking to get in to some recording at home - nothing serious yet, just being able to record and listen, maybe be able to record a couple of tracks on top of each other. I've been looking around a little bit at what is out there but figured I would also check in here.

I'm looking for something to hook up to a computer. I have a newer Dell laptop, and an older MacBook with GarageBand. Currently I'm using a first-gen Apogee Jam into GarageBand, and it's ok. There's the smallest bit of delay between when I play and GarageBand registers the sound, but it's enough to throw me off if I try to record more than one track, for instance a backing track and then trying to jam over it. I'm hoping it's just outdated equipment.

So I'm looking for a go-between for the guitar and computer, and if there is any software out there besides GarageBand that does the same sort of thing.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Hey GibsonLPSG,

If you haven't already, check your LATENCY settings in your Apogee (I'm guessing there is some sort of Apogee app installed on your computer). Lower your buffer size to 128, 192, or 256. Somewhere in that range should get rid of most of the delay so it is not noticeable.

You should be able to get a lot of mileage out of Garageband, but there is also Logic, which is one of the most popular recording DAWs out there. (I have used Cubase for around 25 years.)

Also, this seems like it has a lot of useful info:

https://producersociety.com/latency-fix-garageband/

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
07/15/2020 7:19 pm

Hi

I used an ART Tube Mix as my interface plugged into a PC. No lag that I have noticed.

I have used and still use Audacity but only because I am familiar with it. I am starting to learn Cubase and am playing with Reaper as well. Audacity has been ok but as I progress I am finding its limitations.

I'm not familiar with GB but Carl says you can get milage out of it so I would take his word on it and try his suggestion before making a switch. The only reason I am starting to move away from Audacity is because of the limitations I am noticing.

Good luck

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 3
Carl King
Carl King
07/15/2020 7:44 pm
Originally Posted by: William MG

I'm not familiar with GB but Carl says you can get milage out of it so I would take his word on it and try his suggestion before making a switch. The only reason I am starting to move away from Audacity is because of the limitations I am noticing.

Good luck

Oh, and I'm only saying that because Logic X is $199 and before spending that right away GibsonLPSG could still get some experience in Garageband. But eventually will probably want to upgrade to something else.

I have also done a ton of basic tracking and mixing on a secondary computer with Cubase Elements which is only $99.

https://new.steinberg.net/cubase/compare-editions/

It's the exact same program as Cubase Pro (with limitations, missing some features), so once you learn Elements, you know Pro. After recording, I take those Elements files and open them in Pro and do more detailed work and mixing there.

-Carl.

# 4
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
07/15/2020 11:00 pm

Makes sense

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 5
GibsonLPSG
GibsonLPSG
07/16/2020 3:41 pm

Great, thank you all so much!

# 6
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
07/16/2020 9:42 pm

I always need to catagorize stuff to make it easier to understand. You have had several great recommendations but they fall into two categories: 1) hardware and 2)software or 1)interface and 2) DAW (digital audio workstation.

For the former, I used aFocusright Scarlett 2i2 until I got my POD 500x which has an interface. It served me well and is cheap. I think I paid about $100. You can either plug your guitar into it, which is what I did, or mic your amp.

for the software I use Reaper. Again, it's cheap ($60?), and has all (more) the functionality I will ever need. Plus you can use it for some time period (3 months?) before you have to pay for it. There are lots of training videos on their website.

good luck!

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 7
GibsonLPSG
GibsonLPSG
07/23/2020 2:21 pm

Awesome, thank you so much! The Scarlet was one of the ones I was looking at, so I’m glad to hear from someone who has used one.

# 8
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
07/23/2020 3:19 pm

GibsonLPSG, good luck to you. Lots of good recommendations made. I don't know anything about any of them aother than what I mentioned. My (first) guess is that for the beginning recording stages of learning any one of the recommendations will serve you well. My second guess is that anyone making recommendations above knows far more about recording than I.

But should you go with Scarlett one thing to watch is the numbering system. I went with, as I said, the 2i2, which means 2 inputs and 2 outputs. The Scarlett Solo just has one of each. Theoptions are up to a ridiculous number, 18 or 20?!

If you think you are ever going to sing along with your playing then get at least 2 in and 2 out, one each for your guitar and your microphone. And then send them to separate tracks to your DAW.

I will never record myself singing. But I got 2 in and 2 out for the unlikely possibility one of my jam buddies may ever come by and we would record. Of course, that never happened.

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 9
Carl King
Carl King
07/23/2020 5:18 pm

Hey Gibson, I've owned and used several Focusrite Scarletts as well. In general, they work fine. My main interface is an Apollo Twin these days, often with a Millennia pre-amp for recording voice actors. But the Focusrite will get used as a secondary interface in another room, or on another computer when necessary. I have a couple of them around.

-Carl.

# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.